Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pilgrims and Indians and Long Lines, Too

Yes, today was my 8-hour day. Actually, despite the title, it could have been worse. It was on and off for most of the day, not nearly as bad as I figured it would be. It did pick up around the usual 4-6 rush hour and was just starting to slow down when I left at 7:30.

Most people were in a really good mood, too, happy to be done with work or school for the holiday weekend. There was only one bad incident the whole day. A man using the WIC Checks (checks for people with infants and toddlers who need help with formula and food) didn't have the right things for the checks. The checks are very specific, and you can get in trouble for not having the right things. Trouble is, he had to go back at least three times for what he needed, holding up a long line. The man behind him got so fed up, he yelled at the guy with the checks, then took off!

I was initially upset, but in truth, I didn't really have time to freak out for long. I wanted to get the line down. And I didn't entirely blame the guy with the WIC Checks, either. Yes, he could have been better-prepared...but the State of New Jersey just revamped its entire WIC Check system, adding items like fruit, vegetables, and bread, that were never able to be purchased with the checks before. I'm not really surprised the guy was confused. So are a lot of other people.

Larry, one of our managers, appreciated how I handled that so much, he gave me a card to put in a box that would put me in the running for a 10 dollar Acme gift card at the end of the week, or a 25 dollar gift card at the end of the month. That was sweet of him.

Oh, and they finally got the free turkeys in, too. They were mostly small turkeys...but everyone buying the freebies today said they were going to use them for Christmas or save them for next month or use them in case they had unexpected guests.

I went straight to Arby's after work. Arby's was dead by 7:30, with only one other group of people and a few teenagers enjoying "Roast Burgers" after shopping. I had a small "All American Roast Burger" (Arby's signature shaved roast beef with burger toppings - much less greasy and better for you than the usual burger!), curly fries, and Diet Mountain Dew. I debated going back to the Acme for the Edy's Ice Cream that was on sale, but my tummy felt a bit funny after dinner. I think I ate too fast. I was just so hungry after my long day! I rode home instead.

I got lucky with the weather, too. It was spitting a little when I went to work and misting and a bit foggy when I went home, but I think I missed the worst of it. I know it got really dark at one point - I saw it through the front windows - and I saw that many of the carts were soaked.

I jumped in the shower the moment I got home. No shower ever felt soooo goood.

For you Americans who won't have a chance to get online tomorrow, I wish you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving! :)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Good for you, Emma, to handle that problem so well!