Monday, November 30, 2009

The Candy Woman

Today was Laundry Day. It's pretty much the only day I can do the laundry if I want to get the Christmas decorations up by the end of the week. Uncle Ken and Dolores were there initially with Dolores' granddaughter May. I went over to the Oaklyn Library to return Cranberry Thanksgiving, Christmas In America, and the Gifts of Good Taste books. Took out a few more Gifts volumes and A Child's Christmas In Wales.

I was going to walk to WaWa and buy milk, but the weather wasn't great. It was only sprinkling when I walked to Uncle Ken's, but by the time I got out of the library, it had settled into a long, cold shower. I just went back to Uncle Ken's, picked up my laundry, and headed home.

After I put my clothes away, I used the last hour before work to have chicken fingers and leftover Brussels sprouts for lunch and make Banana Muffins from the October issue of Prevention Magazine. I was disappointed with how they came out. They tasted ok, but the batter fell. Oh, well. It was an awfully thin batter. I must have overdid the buttermilk.

Uncle Ken and Dolores hadn't been home when I'd picked up my laundry, and Dad's gone for several weeks on a cruise ship job. I ended up just riding to work in the wind and rain, making sure to wear my big black (water proof) winter coat with the hood.

Work was almost not worth the nasty ride. It was dead all night long, even during rush hour. Between the nasty weather, this being the end of the month, and the fact that we're now between holidays again, most people probably stayed home. It was so dead, and we had so many bored teenagers standing behind registers, I spent the last hour and a half of work stocking and organizing boxes of candy bars, gum, and lollipops at the registers. I'd much rather do that than handle annoying people. For me, it's fun, and it clears my head. I like organizing things. It just comes naturally to me.

(And my ride home wasn't quite as bad as my ride to work. It was cold and windy, but the rain was long gone by then. Oh, and I did get my milk at work, along with buttermilk and eggs.)

No comments: