Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Doing Research

Since I got up late today, I spent the morning doing research for my day trip to New York next month. I've already narrowed down the area I'm interested in to Midtown, Times Square, and Fifth Avenue. I was up until 2:30 last night reading The Unofficial Guide to New York City.

Two attractions stood out - The Paley Center For Media and Radio City Music Hall. The Paley Center (formerly the Museum of Television & Radio) is what the original label says - a museum and research center for TV and radio. You can watch actual old radio and TV programs right at the museum, and they run shows all day long. And most people know what Radio City is, the gigantic Art Deco home of the Rocketts, the annual Christmas Spectacular, and many concerts and movie premiers.

(And while I'm in the Radio City area, checking out the rest of Rockerfeller Center might be cool, too. We did get to see part of it on our sightseeing tour in 2001, but not all of it.)

I finally went out for a walk around 2:30. While it was a little cooler than yesterday and that nice breeze had returned, the humidity lingered. I walked down Manor and over to the Oaklyn School. Now that it's out for the summer, I can go to the playground in the back of the school whenever I want. A grandmother was already there with several children when I passed through.

After I got home, I read Garfield comics for a little while (including the ones where Jon and Liz start going steady - how many decades did it take them?), then changed into my work uniform, grabbed dinner, and headed out.

Work was steady when I came in, dead when I came out. Other than a few annoying old ladies, there were no problems. In fact, I picked up some extra hours tomorrow, 11-4. Normally, I wouldn't take them on my only other day off this week besides Monday, but they aren't very long or late, my only plans for tomorrow was going swimming (which I can do after work), and I really, REALLY need the extra hours. This isn't like the winter, when they were giving me anywhere from 28 to 32 hours per week. I've been lucky to get 20 a week since at least April.

No comments: