Friday, June 25, 2010

In the Heat of the Morning

It was still hot when I got up this morning, but the stiffing humidity that made the last few days so unbearable had vanished. I watched summer themed Disney cartoons and Recess: School's Out during breakfast, then headed out for a walk and this week's volunteering session at the Oaklyn Library.

The Oaklyn Library was pretty busy when I arrived. It looked like they might have been setting up for a kids' program or movie session. I did get to organizing the picture books, including several that had somehow ended up there from the biography section.

Went for my walk next. I strolled across the newly-laid blacktop and sidewalks where the train tracks are, then down Landis Avenue and over to Kendall. It was actually quite nice under all those trees. I wasn't the only one out, either. Adults worked on yards, and kids sat under trees, enjoying their new-found freedom.

I had leftover Salisbury Steak and yellow squash for lunch, then did some things online. I continued my cleaning after that - made my bed and vacuumed the apartment. I'll do the dusting tomorrow evening.

Work was generally good. There were a few annoying customers. One woman insisted that she have a bagger for her $200 order, despite the fact that she had a teenager with her who could have been perfectly capable of helping out and she seemed to do a fine job herself. I hate it when people are obnoxious about the baggers. The only bagger on duty at that point was on break. A manager finally helped her. We had some of those annoying old ladies who give 600 orders on how to bag, and then don't help themselves later, too. Plus, one of the two night cashiers got sick and had to leave early, so people were grumbling about only having one register open.

Good thing I didn't need much after work. I was low on meat in all forms, so I grabbed the on-sale chicken breasts, packs of tilapia, ground chicken (better for you and less messy to cook than ground beef), and shaved beef to make a cheesesteak later in the week. Bryers Ice Cream was on sale for $1.99; I grabbed my favorite flavor, Cherry Vanilla. I also got almonds, skim milk, and powdered sugar.

No comments: