Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Single Life For Me

I started off a hot, humid day with a walk. This time, I decided to bring along some music. I pulled out my old portable CD player and put on a collection of summer-themed songs I bought from the thrift shop a few years ago.

Though it was nice to walk to the music, I don't know if I'll do that all the time. Just a few years ago, I wouldn't have been able to go on a walk or work out without music. Now, I think I just enjoy the silence. I like hearing the breeze rustle in the trees, birds singing, and children laughing in the distance.

I was going to clean the bathroom when I got in, but I got caught up reading one of the books I took out on being single. I'd Rather Be Single Than Settle is a British take on "being single's a good thing." I enjoy being single most of the time, but as regular readers of this blog know, I also get frequently lonely and bored. I've recently been working on more ideas to keep my mind occupied. I've done some of it already - get a hobby, look around for events to attend, try to be more positive about yourself.

If nothing else, it makes me realize how lucky I am that most of both sides of the family support my singlehood. No one is pushing eligible men in my face and saying "you have to date, or you won't be happy." Right now, I think a man is the last thing I need. I want to learn to love and be comfortable with myself before I can love anyone else.

Work was dead for most of the afternoon. It was steady during rush hour, but otherwise, there were no problems. I spent a lot of the afternoon putting candy away. In fact, I devoted the last 20 minutes to doing returns.

No comments: