Thursday, November 10, 2011

Foggy Balance

Once again, I awoke to dense fog. The fog remained as I rode to Collingswood for this week's yoga class. We concentrated on headstands in an attempt to lift the fog from our own minds. Karin had each of us pair up with another student. The girl I paired with couldn't get her legs all the way up, either, which made me feel a lot better. I can get my legs up the wall, but I still can't get on my shoulders.

Went right to the Collingswood Library after work. There was a big pile of DVDs to file and shelve, and plenty to organize, too. I finished with the kids' shelves just as their Storybook Hour let out, so I ended up helping some children find DVDs to take out, too.

By the time I was pulling my bike out of the bike rack, the sun had burned off the fog, and it was much warmer. This lasted more than half-way through my ride. I was just coming up to the White Horse Pike when clouds once again obscured the light. The wind picked up too, and it became much colder.

Unlike the fog, the clouds remained. It was still cloudy and cool when I went for a walk after I got home. Despite the sudden change in temperature, there were lots of people out and about, working on Thanksgiving (or Christmas, in the case of the neighbors across the street) decorations, clearing out cars, or raking or blowing leaves to the sidewalk. Kids chased each other on bikes. Teens chatted with their pals passing in cars or on bikes of their own. (And there were a lot more kids than usual. The students of the Oaklyn School are off today and tomorrow for Veteran's Day and the New Jersey Teacher's Convention.)

When I got in, I just spent an hour watching Looney Tunes wartime shorts in honor of our people in the Armed Services. (I'll do the Donald Duck in the Army cartoons tomorrow.) I also paged through Christmas books, looking for decorating and edible gift ideas for the holidays.

It was still cloudy when I rode to work, and even colder and windier. Work was busy for most of the day, not surprising given that kids are the only ones who are off for the holiday, and we should be getting the last of the beginning-of-the-month people this weekend.

The only problem was something I did. I was handling a WIC Check, and it just disappeared. I couldn't find it anywhere. No one could. Not the customer or the managers. It wasn't on the bottom of the register. It wasn't under anything. It wasn't in with the coupons. I panicked. There was a line, and the check wasn't anywhere! It never turned up while I was there. I felt so embarrassed.

Oh, and those dark clouds did finally produce some rain. It rained while I was riding home and for several hours afterwards, though I don't think it's doing anything right now. According to the Weather Channel, it won't be lingering, either. It's supposed to go right back to upper 50s-lower 60s and sunny tomorrow.

No comments: