Sunday, November 20, 2011

I'm Into Something Good

Started a sunny, breezy morning with Brunch With the Beatles. The spotlight today was on the early Beatles and other British bands who found success in the US in their wake. Among the UK acts from the early and mid 60s we heard were Dusty Springfield ("I Only Wanna Be With You"), the Dave Clark Five, the Rolling Stones (the original version of "Time Is On My Side") and Herman's Hermits ("I'm Into Something Good"). The earliest British number to hit the top of the charts here was apparently the instrumental favorite "Telestar."

I made Apple Cinnamon Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom after I was done. We talked for almost an hour! She told me that my brother Keefe did have a good birthday. He had to work on Friday, but spent the weekend going bowling with his girlfriend and some friends of theirs and going out to the Pizza Hut in Wildwood. My sister Anny, on the other hand, was a busy bee. She works at the Big Lots in North Cape May and has been picking up extra hours. Not to mention, her crazy season is coming up...which means Mom will be babysitting her sons more often. I told Mom about e-mailing colleges and about my heel spur as well.

We talked for so long, the show was more than three-quarters when she finally said she had to get ready for the arrival of Anny and her boys. I drank my Pumpkin Spice Chai, finished my pancakes, and did the dishes as the show ended.

Spent the remaining hour before work prettying up my dolls for the holidays. All of my American Girl and Sailor Moon dolls but Tuxedo Mask have special outfits or gowns that they wear from the week before Thanksgiving through the week after New Year's. The Sailor Soldiers wear fashion doll dresses found in dollar stores or vintage 80s and early 90s Barbie party frocks. (Sailor Moon's is actually an Ice Capades Barbie ruffled top and a white skirt with a pink underskirt that just happened to look like one dress together. The low neckline is covered by a white, sequin-trimmed fur stole.)

The American Girls all wear their "canon" Christmas dresses mentioned in their books. I got Samantha's deep red Cranberry Christmas Dress along with the doll when she was my big present for Christmas 1993. Found Molly's dark green velvet Evergreen Christmas Dress (in it's later incarnation with the buttons on the front) and Felicity's bright blue Christmas Gown on eBay. Jessa apparently bought the Chinese New Year outfit for her modern Asian doll to use in a school project. Fortunately, it's one of the outfits she gave me that's mostly intact. It's a gorgeous red and gold brocade pants outfits with real frogs to close the jacket.

(As for Tuxedo Mask, well, I just haven't found any good Ken clothes yet. Just as well. As you can guess from his name, he comes dressed for the holidays anyway. ;) )

I finished with just enough time to grab a small lunch, change, and hurry out to work! The sun was still out as I hurried down the White Horse Pike, but it was humid and much too warm for this time of year, and that little breeze from this morning was gone.

It was pretty much the same as yesterday - very busy, with some fairly cranky customers. Thankfully, it started to thin out around 5:30, and by the time I left an hour later, I was able to shut down without a relief and pick up brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, and canned pumpkin, all of which I'll need for future baking.

No comments: