Monday, November 07, 2011

Dances With the Avatars

Started out one of the most gorgeous days in early November I'd ever seen with a run to the laundry. The busy week and beautiful weather was reflected in the laundromat. When I arrived, it was quiet as can be. Some people did arrive later, but by then, I was starting to load my laundry into the drier.

It was so lovely, after I put away my laundry and ate a quick lunch, I went right back out for a walk. I just had time for a quick trip to the boat launch on the end of Goff Avenue and back. The view was incredible. The barest breeze rippled the green water. The view was so clear, you could see the top of the Ben Franklin Bridge with no trouble. The trees were every shade of gold you could imagine, from gently buffed to shining brilliant.

There were lots of people out and about, too. Two of people in the house across from us were already putting up inflatable Christmas decorations, including one related to the Nickelodeon kids' show Yo Gabba Gabba. (They're the ones who put up the gigantic light displays every holiday season.) Men working on the roof of another house blasted classic hard rock music. People walked dogs. Parents pushed strollers. Kids ambled home from the Oaklyn School down the street.

I watched the first half of Avatar during lunch and continued it when I got back in from my walk. Avatar is the very strange tale of a young, crippled Marine who is sent to the planet Pandora in place of his late brother. A company on Earth wants to mine a new, precious metal on Pandora, but they need the cooperation of the planet's native people. A group of scientists create a way to inhabit computer "avatars" that look like the natives, so they can convince them to allow mining. The Marine finds himself caught between the scientists and their goals, the war-and-profit-hungry company...and the native people and beautiful planet he's slowly coming to respect.

I'm not sure what to think of this one. Yes, Pandora is an incredible, colorful, well-designed place, but the animation is waxy and weird, almost too-lifelike. The story isn't anything new, and like The Social Network, it's hard for someone like me with no interest in science or war to warm up to these tough characters.

Had my only late work shift this week tonight. Work was busy when I came in, dead when I left, probably thanks to the Eagles game tonight. Apparently, the Eagles started out poorly, but at press time, were winning by a touchdown over the Chicago Bears, 24-17.

No comments: