Friday, June 08, 2012

Music, Mystery, and Meddling Kids

Started off a gorgeous, sunny morning with Scooby Doo and the Music of the Vampires. In one of the strangest animated movies Mystery Inc has ever done, Velma brings the gang to a vampire convention that's under attack by an anti-supernatural southern bigwig looking to get into politics. And he's the least of their problems. The sponsor of the convention is low on money. His books on "old-fashioned" vampires aren't selling in the wake of newer-style, more romantic horror tales, and he badly needs this to be a success to pay off the woman who owns the midway. When he brings the kids to a performance by a stage troupe which is more-or-less a vampire cult, their over-dramatic show seems to bring a real vampire to life...and he wants Daphne for his bride! Meanwhile, Shaggy thinks he's been bitten by a vampire and goes into hiding and Freddie is hell-bent on being the next great vampire hunter. And yes, everyone sings, including the members of Mystery Inc.

This is a very odd attempt to send up two genres that are inexplicably popular with modern teenagers - the musical and romantic horror like the Twilight series. It didn't really work. Not only are both obvious and frequently-hit targets, but the music is unmemorable, and just doesn't sound right coming from Shaggy and Scooby. Not to mention, there's the stage troupe that insist on "living" their roles as vampires. And the kids are right - the set-up is too elaborate for words, or even for this particular cartoon. I don't recommend this one unless you or your kids are big Scooby fans and must see all the movies. Try the earlier movies or the cartoon sets first.

Went to the gym after the movie was over. I had a nice, sweaty 20-minute run on the elliptical machine. I saw a familiar face on Channel 3's Talk Philly show as I puffed. Peter Tork was one of the people interviewed today. I wish I could have heard what they said, but I didn't rent earphones. I know they did show segments from the original Monkees TV show and a few concerts.

After the gym, I went straight to work. I badly needed my paycheck and to do this week's grocery shopping. I had no sugar or buttermilk left, and my powdered sugar was low, too. I found shrimp on sale (the only meat I bought this week). I had coupons for Craisins, Smart Balance spread, and applesauce. There were good sales on eggs and Acme's generic "Essential Everyday" Honey Bunches of Oats, and I treated myself to another bag of those limited edition mint-dark-chocolate chips.

After I got home, I unloaded everything and had a quick lunch, then made a quick errand run around the neighborhood. A brief stop at Doria's Deli revealed the last of their 69 cent muffin cups had been purchased yesterday. Oh well. I'd have to get them at the Acme. I hurried off to the bank to deposit my paycheck, then to WaWa for skim milk and a pretzel.

I hung out and listened to music until it was time to go to work. Work was busy all night, but thankfully, other than some annoying beginning-of-the-month people, there were no major problems. I got out with enough time to pick up those muffin cups and something else I forgot when I was at the Acme earlier.

And I have a much better schedule this week, the best I've had in months. Tuesday and Thursday off, nothing earlier than 1 or later than 7:30. Good. I'll still be able to get some things done.

No comments: