Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Woman at Work

It was wonderfully cool when I awoke this morning. It was so cool in my apartment, I was shivering under my thin quilt and sheet! I wrote in my journal and quickly changed. Since it went so well yesterday, I once again ran a Disney movie while eating breakfast. This time, I went with the far better-known Cinderella.

This is pretty much your standard version of one of the world's most famous fairy tales. The fairy godmother is a pleasantly plump old woman who has memory lapses but knows what she's doing; the helpful servants from some versions are replaced by comic-relief mice and cats. Cindy herself falls somewhere between Snow White and Belle on the memorable scale. She's on the passive side, but she's no innocent dope, either. Some of her facial expressions, especially when dealing with her stepsisters or the fairy godmother's forgetfulness, are hilarious - you don't often meet Cinderellas who have deadpan snarking down pretty well. The animation's gorgeous; check out those sumptuous backgrounds, the mice making Cinderella's dress, or the transformation sequence. The music is quite lovely too, including the ballads "So This Is Love" and "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and the Oscar-nominated comic ditty for the Godmother, "Bibbiti Bobbiti Boo."

It was another long day at work, though not quite as long as yesterday...but it felt twice as long because we were dead for most of the day. It didn't really pick up until the 4PM-6PM rush hour. It's nearly the beginning of the month, and we had some annoying customers, too. At one point, a father brought his upset 4ish daughter and 6ish son to my register. He was scolding the little girl angrily because she was crying and wanted to go home; apparently, she hadn't taken a nap when she should have. The little boy was the only one being calm about the whole thing. He barely waited for me to give him his bag before taking off. And then, of course, my relief was late, and I had to shut down and leave one person at the register to avoid being late myself.

I hurried home the moment I finished, changed into regular clothes, grabbed my laundry items and a book, and rode to the laundromat. It was quarter of 6 by the time I got there; dinner time for most people. The laundromat was busy when I arrived. By the time the second episode of Three and a Half Men was running and my small load of laundry was out of the drier, there were only two people left, and one was the manager.

When I got in, I had the last lobster tail and hot dogs, macaroni salad, and steamed peas while finally dubbing Robin and the 7 Hoods. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to hit Atlantic City for a stroll in the Outlet Walk. I tried to get there a few weeks ago, but the weather got too bad. I want to get there before the heat wave returns.

No comments: