Monday, August 06, 2012

The Olympic Laundry Dash

Slept in again; when I did finally get up, I started the day off with that leftover burrito from Saturday night and the remaining two Peanuts specials on the Lucy Must Be Traded disc.  Charlie Brown's All-Stars and It's Spring Training, Charlie Brown are basically two versions of the same theme - Chuck and his baseball team can never catch a break. In both, they're promised uniforms by a Mr. Hennessy. The 1966 All-Stars has Chuck turn him down when Hennessy insists that the girls and Snoopy are dropped from the team; in the 1992 Spring Training, they have to win a game to get the uniforms.

I didn't make it to the laundromat until almost 12:30. I timed it pretty well. It wasn't busy when I arrived. The washers were almost full, but there were only two people watching Olympic track and field heats and synchronized swimming competitions. Track doesn't do much for me, but I enjoyed the swimmers. The Russians, with their cute Sailor Moon-esque hair styles and amazing backflips, were the deserved winners; I also liked the Spanish women. (Wasn't impressed by the less dramatic Chinese duo; the American pair were literally out of sync). By the time I unloaded my large pile of clothes and towels out of the dryer, the place was filled with at least three large families doing their weekly laundry. I ducked under and around people and squeezed out.

I got in so late, it was past 2:30 before I started my lunch of salmon and tomatoes in chicken broth and leftover cucumber salad. I ran a couple of Three Stooges shorts as I changed into my work uniform and made a quick dinner. Hurried out into a day that was on-and-off cloudy, and still  hot and humid but not as bad as it was.

Work was very busy for most of the night. It's the first Sunday of the month, so in addition to the usual beginning of the month people, we had college students preparing to return to school, and people going to or from vacations. Other than a few annoying customers, there were no major problems. A manager came in for me so I could get out on time.




No comments: