Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Crazy Little Thing Called Weather

It's probably just as well that I slept until almost 10 this morning. I awoke to a heavy shower that lasted through noon. I spent the remaining morning watching Phineas & Ferb and having a quick Cheerios and peaches breakfast. This is one of the most creative animated shows I've seen in a while. My favorite episodes were "Road Trip," where Phineas and Ferb not only somehow manage to build a truck stop on the top of their parents' RV, but rope Candace into being a waitress, and "The Remains of the Platypus," which is told backwards, "Memento"-style.

When the rain finally ended shortly after 12, I grabbed my umbrella and strolled to the Oaklyn Library for today's volunteer session there. It was still cloudy and very humid, but not really that hot. The weather must have driven a lot of people indoors; the place was pretty busy today. I organized both adult and kids' DVDs, shelved adult books, and organized the picture books.

I went for a short walk around Oaklyn after leaving the library. The clouds had begun to break up by this point. That wasn't a good thing; the relatively mild temperatures disappeared whenever the clouds did. If nothing else, the recent rain has done wonders for the plants. Everything looks much greener, including the formerly fried grass. Black-eyed susans and sunflowers wave in gardens; trees seem far perkier.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at home, watching Stooges shorts and making salmon, cucumber salad, and eggplant Parmesan for lunch and Lime Chiffon Cake for afterwards. That "meringue" I made yesterday refused to stiffen and more closely resembled a pile of egg mush than dessert. I folded it into cake flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt, sugar, and the last of the lime juice I bought for Dad's birthday mousse pie last month.

The clouds returned while I was working on the cake. It was showering lightly as I left for work, but nothing like this morning. Work was the same as Sunday; busy when I arrived, so quiet by the time I left, I spent the last half-hour doing returns. It was still humid but relatively dry by the time I got out; the rain must not have stuck around for long.

No comments: