Sunday, May 12, 2013

Blown Away

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all moms, including those whose children are four-legged or feathered. : )

Second, actually, this was a fairly quiet Mother's Day for me. Not being a mom myself, I usually just call mine to wish her the best of the day. Started a sunny but windy and milder morning with a quick breakfast of Sweet Potato Cinnamon Pancakes while listening to Brunch With the Beatles. The theme was a favorite of mine, "Songs That Ask or Answer Questions." This theme is a favorite of mine because it's so broad - anything goes, as long as it's done by a Beatle and has the general idea. Group songs heard include "No Reply," "With a Little Help From My Friends," "Piggies," "Help!," "When I'm 64," and "Do You Want to Know A Secret?" Solo question-and-answer tunes included "Blown Away" and "What Is Life?" by George, "Woman" by John Lennon, and "My Love" by Paul McCartney and Wings.

I was quickly able to call Mom as I finished breakfast. I caught her at the right time. My sister Anny and her sons were coming over to visit. I told her about my rough week and yesterday's weather. She said they got rain all day on Saturday. We must have been in a pocket of some kind.

Went straight to work after I got off with Mom. Work was insanely busy through about 3PM. I still had a line when I was trying to get on my break! It died fairly quickly after that as people headed to their Mother's Day barbecues or home from brunches.

Jodie walked by my line quickly during the day and invited me over to Dad's house for her famous barbecue ribs. I figured, why not? I didn't have any other dinner plans. I rode home in the wind, changed into regular clothes, and walked to Dad's - it was really too windy for the bike.

It wasn't nearly as big of a party as Dad's Easter and Christmas Eve get-togethers. For one thing, my sister Rose, her boyfriend Craig, and my stepsister Jessa all had to work; Craig's parents were babysitting Khai. It was mostly Jodie's relatives, including her parents, her sons Jesse and TJ, a friend of TJ's, Jesse's girlfriend Dana, and Jodie's sister and her daughter. I ate asparagus, macaroni salad, and Jodie's famous, melt-in-your-mouth ribs, now joined by equally tasty chicken. We had a chocolate cream pie from the Acme's bakery for dessert.

When I got home, I went straight in the bath. I needed one rather badly. My legs are killing me. I spent a quiet hour testing my new pomegranate bubble bath and reading Peace and Plenty. While the bubble bath smelled great, it didn't last nearly as long as the larger container of Acme-brand bubble bath usually does. I'm glad I found it at the clearance rack. That would have been disappointing at the original price.

No comments: