Friday, February 14, 2014

A Bear-y Busy Valentine's Day

I slept in a little bit this morning, finishing The Elusive Pimpernel and writing in my journal until 9:30. I ran a couple of Valentine's Day specials as I ate a quick breakfast of Cranberry Chocolate Chip Muffins and canned peaches. A very peculiar Cupid spreads love among the Toons, despite Bugs Bunny insisting he's meddling, in Bugs Bunny's Cupid Capers. The Pink Panther has less luck finding a Pink Panthress of his own and making Valentine's Day deliveries in Pink At First Sight.

Headed to the Haddon Township Library around 11:30 (after a quick stop at WaWa to use the ATM machine and get a drink). Much to my surprise, it was sunny, cloudless, and relatively warm, probably in the mid-40s. The gigantic piles of snow from yesterday were melting into ocean-sized puddles...and I was getting soaked riding down Cuthbert.

The Library wasn't too bad when I arrived. There were a lot of DVDs put away, and given how bare the shelves were, there were still more out and about. For once, I had absolutely no problem stocking and organizing either the adult or kids' titles. I again opted not to take anything out. Between my usual crazy February schedule and the recent weather, I'm not sure when I'd have the time to watch them or take them back!

I went across the street to the Friendly's in the Westmont Plaza for lunch. I thought I'd like an ice cream treat for Valentine's Day, and I have a couple of 20% off coupons for them. I had the choose-your-own meal that includes an entree, two scoops of ice cream, and a soda. My entree was a delicious Grilled Turkey Tips Avocado Salad, with blue cheese dressing on the side. The ice cream was Viennese Mocha Chunk drizzled with marshmallow sauce and topped with whipped cream and a cherry. Yum - that's my favorite Friendly's flavor. They were pretty busy for quarter of 2, mostly with couples or elderly people.

Friendly's has a play-until-you-win crane game on one side as you exit, next to the freezer with the individual ice cream containers for sale. It's expensive for a crane game, about 3 dollars, but some of the prizes are a pretty good size. I came up with an adorable tan teddy bear with round, shiny black eyes and curly sable fur. I named him "Sunny," after the lovely, sunshiny day and the 60s song "Sunny" that was playing at Friendly's as I was on the crane.

I headed across Audubon to the Acme to do a little grocery shopping and pick up my schedule. This time, I rode over to Merchant to avoid the mess on Cuthbert and Nicholson, going in the back way by Staples and America's Best.

The Acme surprisingly wasn't that busy when I got there around 2:30. I was expecting far more people to be shopping for Valentine's Day and President's Day Weekend. I guess everyone did their shopping before the storm. I didn't need much myself. I was mostly restocking fruit (grapefruit, apples, bananas) and canned goods (chicken, kidney beans, diced tomatoes). I was almost out of eggs and whole wheat flour. Picked up my usual holiday bag of York's Peppermint Patties. The Valentine's Day candy wasn't half-price yet, but the Yorks tend to disappear when they do go on sale. I'll get another bag if there's any left on Sunday.

My schedule next week is about par for the course during the busy month of February. That means there's lots of hours and long shifts, including two 7-hour days in a row. On the other hand, only two of those days are very late (and that just until 8) or very early. I once again have Friday and Saturday off. According to the manager who does the schedules, I get the weekends off because that's when all of the college and high school students who have school during the week have the time to work.

When I got home, I went upstairs, put everything away, then went right back downstairs. I had laundry that really, really needed to be done. I meant to do it yesterday afternoon, but the weather was so bad, I just opted to stay home after work. I got another surprise when I came into an empty laundromat. There was no one there when I arrived but me and Action News blaring about the nasty car pileup on the Pennsylvania Turnpike this morning. (Thank goodness no one seems to have sustained more than minor injuries, but a LOT of cars were damaged.) I had no problems getting another big load of laundry in and out.

I had a quick dinner of leftover chili after I got in, then ran more Valentine's specials while making Orange-Apple Muffins. The Peanuts never have much luck with romance, as their Valentine's Day specials can attest. Poor Charlie Brown fruitlessly awaits an avalanche of valentines while Linus gets a crush on his teacher in Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown. Chuck doesn't do much better asking the Little Red Haired Girl to a dance in A Charlie Brown Valentine.

The Tiny Toons are also attending a dance in the first season episode "Prom-ise Her Anything." While an impatient Babs waits for dance-shy Buster to ask her out, Elmyra cons Montana Max into taking her. Monty's less than thrilled with the idea. When he stands her up, the rabbits go and retrieve him.

In A Valentine For You, Winnie the Pooh and the gang in the Hundred Acres Woods are upset when they see Christopher Robin writing a valentine for a girl and come to the conclusion he likes her better than them. They try to catch the "Smitten" bug to end the romance. Christopher finally reminds Pooh and the others that no matter how many new romances you find, old friends always have a special place in your heart.

And speaking of...I hope you and yours had an equally fun and enjoyable Valentine's Day! : )

No comments: