Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Telling A Story

Started a cloudy morning with two more second season Monkees episodes. They think they're "The Wild Monkees" when they dress as motorcyclists to court a group of biker girls...but the girls' tough boyfriends don't like their intrusion one bit. Davy finds himself in an unwanted "Hillbilly Honeymoon" when he and the other four get caught between feuding southern families. A pretty hillbilly grabs Davy to be her husband, so the others try to show her boyfriend how to really court a lady.

I wish I'd stayed with the Monkees. Work was a mess for a lot of the day. People were rude. People were cranky. I was pretty cranky, too. I was tired and fed up with all the fussing over the weather. Apparently we did get snow here today...for approximately two seconds. The bigger problem was the return of extreme cold, which no one was ready for or wanted after the beautiful weekend. I ended up having to stay another hour as well when one of the college kids called out and all the people they'd normally ask to replace her were either at work or in class. (Some of the college kids who came in early had to stay longer, too.) Thankfully, we had enough help by 4PM that I was able to leave without a relief.

When I got home, I went on the computer and decided to try something. I've been working on a story in my head at work. No, not a story to go with the fanfiction Lauren and I write, or something to sell. It's a story for me. It's about an unhappy queen who hates being stuck listening to her subjects complain all day when she'd rather be reading or traveling. I haven't gotten much further than that. I haven't decide what will happen next. This is just something for me to vent and get a lot off my chest; I may not even post it online anywhere.

When I did get off the computer, I put on Casanova's Big Night while eating leftovers. In Italy in 1757, Peppo the lowly tailor's assistant (Bob Hope)  is sent to Venice, along with the beautiful grocery store owner Francesca (Joan Fontaine), to impersonate the great lover and swordsman Casanova. He's to get a certain petticoat from a young girl to prove she is unfaithful to her fiancee. Trouble is, the girl does actually love her fiancee...and the government officials who want the petticoat are hoping to incite a war. When Peppo gets caught up in more scheming than he can handle, he finally comes up with a plan to use his real skills to make sure that petticoat gets to the right person.

A fun vehicle for fans of swashbucklers or Bob Hope. As per Peppo's occupation, there's some nice costuming too, especially once they get to Venice and all the pretty girls start flocking to Casanova. I love the duel that Hope only thinks he wins (let's say he's not the one who finally takes his opponent out).

No comments: