Sunday, February 02, 2014

All Together Now

Started a cloudy morning with Brunch With the Beatles. "Messages and Meanings" was the theme today. I like it when they do broad themes. They could play any song, as long as it had some kind of a message. Among Beatles songs with messages and meanings were "Hey Jude," "Dear Prudence," "Help!," "In My Life," "Rain," and "All You Need Is Love." Solo efforts with messages and meanings included Paul's "Live and Let Die," John's "Give Peace a Chance" and "Imagine," George's "My Sweet Lord," and Ringo's "The No No Song."

Called Mom as I finished my pumpkin pancakes. She was enjoying some quiet time to herself before Anny and Skylar arrived later. Dad had gone fishing. She was making Apple Bread to use up some apples that were getting wrinkly. I told her about my busy week and the extra hours yesterday, along with the forthcoming tax return.

I went to work right after Brunch ended. What a mess that was! I can understand the beginning of the month and Super Bowl party crowds. I don't know why anyone was panicking over snow. It's been too warm the last few days for the snow to stick like it has the past month....and unlike the last couple of times it snowed, it's not supposed to get bitterly cold again this week. Even if we get 3 to 5 inches, I doubt it'll linger like the last few rounds did. The lines were very long all day. People were cranky, too. If they weren't fussing over snow, they were fussing over items that were in the wrong place or not being able to mix and match soda brands on sale. Thank heavens my relief was one of the college boys who is always on time. I was able to buy heavy cream as quickly as I could, given the long lines, and hurry home.

When I got in, I changed into my Eagles jersey, then quickly threw together icing for the Buttermilk Confetti Cupcakes I made yesterday. I combined heavy cream, vanilla pudding mix, and powdered sugar. It wasn't bad. Had a bit of a metallic aftertaste, but that was probably the pudding mix. I topped them with orange, black, blue, and green sprinkles to represent the Broncos and the Seahawks, then grabbed my jacket and rode to Dad's.

Dad's Super Bowl party was more-or-less the same deal as the Christmas Eve party, this time with football referee-themed bop bags for the kids replacing the tree in the middle of the den and a south-of-the-border theme for most of the food. When I arrived, I saw Mark and Vanessa, Dad and Jodie, my cousins Karen and Jim and their son CJ, and several neighbors. Jessa and her new boyfriend Joe arrived as I did. Jodie's sons T.J and a crowd of his friends arrived later. Rose, Craig, and Khai came as the game was about to begin.

The game was completely crazy. Everyone assumed that the Broncos, who kicked rear ends all season, would probably win, but Seattle (who has the NFL's top-rated defense) would put up a good fight. The Broncos were the ones who didn't fight. They just could not get past that defense. (Flags on both teams every other second and two challenges didn't help.) Seattle kicked it off by scoring a safety in the first seconds of the game - the fastest points scored in Super Bowl history. The turnovers and touchdowns piled up thick and fast from there on in. In the end, Seattle finally flattened the Broncos 43-8.

The Halftime Show was much better. I never heard of Bruno Mars before tonight, but I think I'm going to have to look up some of his music. He started the show by burning up the drums like I haven't seen in years. I was very impressed. The Red Hot Chili Peppers may have looked different on paper, but they melded with him surprisingly well. It was the best halftime show they've done in ages.

The food was pretty darn good, too. I had chili in a roll (I wasn't going for the sausage after the indigestion I got from sausage last summer), pasta salad with tomatoes, two kinds of deviled eggs (one with paprika on top, one with a slice of olive), a tasty green salad, and Mexican bruschetta - cream cheese spread on flat bread and sprinkled with cheese, peppers, and broccoli bits. There was also potato salad, macaroni salad, shredded pork, and a warm mushroom salad. I tried dates stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, but they were too spicy, and there was no way I was going to touch Rose's hot pepper poppers. In addition to my cupcakes, dessert included one of those pizza-sized chocolate chip cookies, brownies, and a key lime pie that was really yummy.

I left around 9:30. Half the guests were chatting outside in the 40 degree weather (it got into the upper 40s here today); the other half were yelling at the game. I came to the conclusion that my dolls could play better than the Broncos were at that point, grabbed my coat and my pan, said my good-byes, and headed home.

No comments: