Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Raining In My Heart

I slept in today, for the first time in a while. When I awoke, it was pouring and not really that cold, probably in the 30s. I spent a lot of the morning finishing Chicken Soup For the Soul: Finding Your Passion and writing in my journal. I tend to go through passions quickly. I get into cartoons, movies, figure skating, musicals, or TV shows, but after a year or two, sometimes as little as a few months, it passes, and I'm bored again. I spent most of my childhood being made fun of for passion, for being interested in different things than the other kids and talking about it constantly.

I ran some romantic and Valentine's Day cartoons as I quickly ate breakfast and worked on making lists of positive music. Pink At First Sight has the Pink Panther delivering singing messages to those in love, but his messages aren't always received in the spirit they're given. Meanwhile, he continually fantasizes about a Pink Pantheress of his own to love. Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown has Chuck hoping against hope for even one valentine, Lucy and Sally bothering the men of their dreams, Linus trying to impress his teacher Miss Othmar, and Snoopy writing poetry and putting on romantic but messy "paw-pet" shows. Hello Kitty also discovers that love isn't always what it seems in "Kitty and the Beast," from Furry Tale Theater. She and her bratty older sister Katrina (Catnip) have to go to the home of a blue beast (Tuxedo Sam) in order to save their father (Chip). The Beast scares Katrina right away, but Kitty knows that all he really wants is a friend.

Dad finally drove me to work. By the time I started at 1, the rain was down to a sprinkle, but the roads were still rather sloppy with leftover snow. Thank heavens the only thing we seem to have gotten out of this round was rain. From what everyone said, there wasn't even any ice early this morning. Other parts of the Philadelphia area northwest and north of here did get a lot of ice, to the point where thousands of homes and businesses were still without power as of the 4PM news, including Villanova University.

The weather didn't slow down business. We were steady through most of the afternoon, a bit busier during rush hour. Some of the crowds may have been due to the promotion we started today. Despite the Monopoly branding, the new game is really the one we did in the summers of 2011 and 2012 with a different title. Buy items with the Monopoly tags on them, get stickers to put on pictures of grocery store items on a board, turn them in, and win prizes. The pieces you give people are a lot bigger than the ones used for the pans and dishes collections, and some of them come with coupons for anything from a free doughnut to $10 off your next order.

My relief was, once again, one of the women who works late and is usually on time. Rose and Khai arrived just as I came outside. They went to Chick Fil'A for dinner and told Dad since they were there, they'd take me home. Khai was a little disappointed that he hadn't been able to play in Chick Fil'A's playground, which was being cleaned.

When I got in, I ran the two Winnie the Pooh Valentine's Day tales as I made a vegetable omelet for dinner. Pooh wants to deliver A Valentine For You to Christopher Robin, but finds him making valentines for a girl he has a crush on.  Believing that their friend will abandon them for someone new, they look for the Smitten bug to relieve his romantic notions. "Un-Valentine's Day" is from The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and is the first of several times someone in the Hundred Acres Woods tries to cancel a holiday. Rabbit tries to end Valentine's Day after Pooh deluged the gang with unwanted cards the year before. On Valentine's Day, someone gives Pooh a pot of honey. He sets out to find who broke their promise...and this leads to a wild Valentine's of flying honey and romantic plays that don't quite go as planned. But who did send the original pot of honey?

No comments: