Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Life Is Just a Bowl of Peaches

I slept in this morning for the first time in a while. I really needed it. I didn't get going until almost noon. I really needed to get the laundry done today. Though it wasn't that busy when I got in, someone already grabbed all of the cheap washers but the one on the end. I managed to get that one. By the time the crowds were coming, my things were in the drier.

When I got home, I put everything away, then went right back out. I had a quick lunch of cheese and broccoli pizza at Capitol Pizza while watching the Little League World Series on ESPN 2, then went to Westmont. I really wanted to spend my two days off catching up on chores and errands I put off last week. Stopped at Rite Aid first for mouthwash. All of the Rite Aid generic mouthwashes were on sale. I grabbed their version of the diamond-shaped Crest bottles, which are usually too expensive for me. I next went across the street to Dollar Tree for raspberry preserves.

I made up for not making it to the libraries last week by spending an hour just organizing and shelving DVDs at the Haddon Township Library. The return rack was loaded, and the place was really busy. Surprisingly, I did manage to get everything put away, even the kids' shelves. For the first time I weeks, I checked out some books and movies for me. Gravity is high on my list of titles from last year I've been wanting to see. I'm in the midst of reading the Agatha Christie novel The Murder of Roger Ackroyd; the library has the David Suchet version. They had several new action-oriented cartoon sets in; I went with Geronimo Stilton (the library has a ton of those books) and more Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness.

I went right in the bath when I got home. That felt really nice. I spent a pleasant hour reading the books I took out of the library. They finally had Tomorrow-Land, on the 1964-1965 World's Fair and how the world around it changed in those years, which I've been wanting to read for ages. Since I enjoyed The Happiness Project, I thought I'd take out Happy at Home by the same author. Also grabbed a book on writing characters and their viewpoints, which I've had problems with in my own writing. I just can't get into my characters' heads.

Had enough time for two Geronimo Stilton episodes as I made Poached Chicken Legs and leftover vegetables and rice for dinner. The title character is a know-it-all newspaper editor in New Mouse City who is fond of his tough sister, smart niece and nephew, and none-too-bright cousin...but not of traveling or adventure. Despite his preference for tea and quiet, he finds himself frequently involved in outlandish stories, such as him taking his nephew and cousin to China after discovering part of a map om a 40-year-old-letter in "Going Down to Chinatown." Geronimo's "Tea Story" gets really wild when his manuscript is mixed up with a top secret formula and he has to chase down spies to try to recover it.

No comments: