Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Busy Harvest

It was just cloudy and humid when I headed off to work at 11. Work was pretty much the same as Monday - steady, though not overwhelmingly busy. We'll probably be busy for at least another week as the college kids prepare to return to school. My relief was late - a college student had to go in for me, and I got out just under the wire. Otherwise, there were no major problems, and I was in and out.

When I got home, I finished the East Side Kids movie I began that morning while I changed and got organized. Mr. Mugs Steps Out when he's hired by a wealthy woman as a chauffeur. All of the East Side Kids are impressed...until a woman's diamond necklace is stolen, and they're blamed. The maid recognizes the real thief. When the Kids go after him, the rich woman's daughter follows them in the hope of making her nerdy fiancee jealous.

It rained a little while I was at work. My porch was still a bit wet when I came home. By 5:30, the clouds had vanished, and with it went the heat and humidity. It was sunny and breezy when I headed back out. After a quick stop at the Rite Aid on Cuthbert Road, I headed down to the Westmont Farm Market for this week's produce shopping.

Needless to say, I wasn't the only one who had come out to enjoy the sudden nice weather. The Farm Market was packed by 6, and the traffic was insane. Blackberries and cherries are gone, but everything else is still out in full force. This time, I ended up with peaches, three small zucchini, blueberries, a tomato, a cucumber, Chinese beans, and a green pepper.

Since it was the dinner hour, I bought a sandwich and a bottle of water from one of the booths and ate at a series of tables under a tent for dinner. The sandwich was a "V4," grilled chicken, spinach, tomato, cheddar cheese, and honey mustard on a roll. It was really yummy. I watched mothers and grandmothers and their children eat their grilled cheese sandwiches and run around the parking lot behind several businesses were the food and music was. It was a really gorgeous day for eating outside, too, probably in the lower-mid 80s and not humid at all.

I dodged late dinner traffic on Cuthbert Road, stopping at Kayla's Ice Cream for a blueberry milkshake. When I got home, I put everything away while starting another East Side Kids movie. Million Dollar Kid is the first of two movies where the kids help reform a rebellious wealthy youngster. Here, the young man is Roy, who has gotten involved with a gang of crooks who are attacking and stealing from locals. He's not happy that the Kids rescued his father from the muggers, or that his father is letting them use their gym equipment. While the Kids try to get Roy back on the straight and narrow, Mugs tries to find out more about the gangsters and how the operate.

No comments: