Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Good Evening Oaklyn!

I spent most of the morning and afternoon at work; today was my 7-hour shift. It was on-and-off busy, a bit more than it has been, but still nothing horrible. Other than a few annoying people, there were no major problems, and my relief was on time.

When I got home, I changed clothes and finished off Ghost Chasers, a Bowery Boys movie I began during breakfast. Whitey's (Billy Benedict) newest hobby is spiritualism. He and Sach truly believe in the world beyond. Slip is more skeptical...especially after he discovers a phony medium bilking older women in their neighborhood. While Chuck, Slip, and Butch (Buddy Gorman) track down the fake medium ring, Sach encounters a real ghost - kindly Edgar - who also wants to expose the mediums. Trouble is, only Sach can see Edgar, which leads the other Boys to wonder just how much of his sanity Sach has left.

I headed out around 5, as soon as the Boys ended. It too nice of a day to hang around! The clouds that had been out this morning were retreating even as I ate pizza at the picnic tables across from Phillies Phatties. By the time I made it to the Westmont Farm Market at quarter of 6, the sun was out, the wind was blowing, and the weather was utterly perfect, probably in the lower-mid 80s with no humidity. No wonder the place was packed; I had to wait in lines to buy peaches, a tomato, blackberries, a small cantaloupe, and the first spaghetti squash of the season (also in a mini-size).

It was so nice, I decided to extend my trip. Primo's Water Ice is directly across from where the Farm Market is. I stopped there for a Pineapple Turnover water ice. It turned out to be a creamy pineapple with big fruit chunks (and a touch of mint chocolate chip from the last person the girl scooped for). I enjoyed it out front while watching kids riding around on bikes and coming from the karate school next door come in for treats. Stopped at the CVS in Westmont on my way home for a sparkling juice (lemon-lime this time), eggs that are cheaper than the Acme's, and more of that two dollar honey.

When I got in, I listened to the LP soundtrack from Good Morning Vietnam! while putting my produce and groceries away, and then as I swept the porch. I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid, but Robin Williams' patter (as a DJ bringing rock to soldiers in Vietnam) makes the soundtrack of classic mid-late 60s favorites worth hearing.

No comments: