Friday, June 19, 2015

Springtime Lows

I headed to work this morning in a sunny, slightly humid morning. Work was on-and-off busy. I had a few problems with people early on, especially a family who fussed over everything from bagging to the price of soda. Everyone must have gotten out of work early for the weekend; by the time of the usual 4 to 6 rush hour, it was starting to slow down. Thankfully my relief, one of the college girls, was on time.

My schedule is the best I've had in weeks. Plenty of hours without being overwhelming, nothing earlier than noon or later than 7, Monday and Tuesday off. Needless to say, I'll be spending most of my week either doing my usual errands and volunteering or at home. I'm still worn out from the last two weeks, and as I discovered a bit later, I don't have much money left.

I didn't realize how little money I had left until I did my grocery shopping. I didn't even need much. I restocked sugar, chocolate chips, laundry detergent (the Acme's generic brand was $1.99 for the smallest bottle), and tuna. I didn't really need cereal or peanut butter, but the Quaker brands were $1.99 (went with Cinnamon Life) and Skippy Peanut Butter was $2.00. The chicken sausages I bought two weeks ago were back on the same sale and with the same manager's coupons. I got two packs of the pesto-flavored this time. While the chicken sale wasn't that great, I did find a pack of chicken breasts that seemed somewhat reasonable.

Unfortunately, when I got up to the register, I couldn't take money out. I couldn't pay with my card, and I had three dollars on me. I was so horribly embarrassed. I held up the line. I don't like holding up people, even if they say they're not in a hurry. That isn't fair to them. I had to borrow a few dollars from the cashier, which also embarrassed me. She was ok about it, but I felt horribly guilty. I shouldn't have spent so much on vacation.

I still felt horrible when I got home. I immediately checked my bank account. I feel like such an idiot. I overspent the last few days, and my rent check went through quicker than I thought it would. I ws very overdrawn My paycheck hadn't gone through. (It since has.) I don't even have much money in savings. I wish I was smarter with money. Every time I think I'm doing better with it, something like this happens.

I tried to cheer myself up with Scooby Doo episodes and chicken sausages with pan-fried onions and leftover zucchini for dinner. Scooby becomes a "Decoy For a Dognapper" when prize dogs start going missing. They use Scooby as a decoy to catch the thief. This may be the first episode where the case is a little personal for the kids - after all, they do own a dog who is their beloved companion. They're wondering "What the Hex Is Going On?" when they visit a friend at her family's mansion and discovers that her uncle has aged into an old man overnight, and then their friend goes missing. "Never Ape an Ape Man" takes us to a Hollywood movie set. The kids help Daphne's uncle find out why a legendary Ape Man has been wrecking havoc on his set.

Spent the rest of the night in the bath. I really, really needed it after what happened earlier. I'm glad I was able to take two long baths in a row.

No comments: