Thursday, February 23, 2017

A Little Spring In Winter

Got a quick start this morning with more Rick Steves as I ate and got ready for work. We head further inland to Switzerland to explore its lovely cities. I especially liked the charming old pedestrian bridge with artwork going back to the 1500's, and the river that you can swim down.

Work was...once again, pretty dead for most of the day. For one thing, we're now between holidays. The next holiday isn't until the middle of next month. For another, it was absolutely gorgeous today. The sun was high and warm, and the wind had gentled into a breeze. It had to be at least in the lower 70's, ridiculous for late February. I cleaned the bathroom for an hour, then spent the rest of the day gathering carts and baskets. It didn't really start picking up until around 4...by which time I was almost done. Grabbed toilet paper and shampoo (the latter on clearance) on the way out, along with a soft pretzel.

When I got in, I went online for a little while. Didn't do much with the story. I expanded the role of the khyber crystals. People of Coruscant are being conscripted to work in Lord Vader's khyber crystal mines and the factories that refine them. Luke mentions that Han is a recluse. He'd rather be working with his chemicals and new inventions for hauling goods than out at fancy parties.

Broke for a quick dinner around 7:30. Tossed together canned chicken with Mandarin oranges and McCormick spices on a bed of spinach. Added honey, red wine vinegar, and olive oil to the juice from the oranges for Orange Honey Dressing. Oh yum. Tangy and chewy and so flavorful.

Ran Cats Don't Dance while I ate and set up to go online. In Hollywood in 1939, animals can do a lot of things...all of them bit parts. They're just considered to be another pushed-aside minority. Danny, a barn cat from Indiana (Scott Bakula), wants to change that. He's determined to prove that animals are as good at song and dance as humans. Most of the animals in town have been worn down by years of being treated like second-class citizens, including the lovely cat secretary Sawyer (Jasmine Guy). When he gets a part as an extra in a Darla Dimple musical, he thinks this could be his chance to shine. But Darla Dimple is far from what she appears to be...and she has no desire to let anyone steal her spotlight, especially animals!

Unique animated tale from Warner Bros got lost in the shuffle of Disney imitations in the late 90's, but I think it's an underrated gem. Some of the songs are cute, there's an interesting commentary on Hollywood's treatment of minorities during it's Golden Era, and Darla Dimple is so over-the-top, she simply has to be seen to be believed. If you're a fan of animated musicals or the Golden Age of Hollywood, this one is worth seeking out.

Oh, and my birth certificate showed up today. I have no idea when I'm going to see a doctor, and until I see a doctor, I don't want to try signing up for anything. I do need to update my ID under any circumstances. I'll see if I can get back to Cherry Hill on maybe Tuesday.

No comments: