Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Too Warm for Winter

Today did not go at all like I'd planned. I awoke to a phone call. It was the Acme. They were crazy, could I come in? I finally told them I'd come from 1 to 5. I really wasn't in the mood, but I badly need the money. I'll have to do the laundry tomorrow or Friday and the Oaklyn Library on Friday. I tried calling the Camden County Services to reschedule my appointment for food stamps, but they were busy. I'll try again tomorrow.

At any rate, I did have the time for a Tales of the Gold Monkey episode while I got organized and had breakfast. In "Honor Thy Brother," Jake's been rattled by a series of attempts on his life, and by the Japanese bombers he's says he's been seeing. No one believes him but Sarah. Turns out it's a Japanese pilot out for revenge on Jake for shooting down his brother and maiming him. While Jake tries to shake him off, he (temporarily) gets Jack's eye back, and Corky gets an unwanted native bride when he helps a fisherman out.

As it turned out, the Acme had their reasons for calling me. Yes, they were that crazy. There were lines down the aisles when I arrived at one. I spent most of the first hour panicking in a register. We just started the Monopoly game again today, too. (I don't know why they bother. All our customers ever do is complain that they never win anything.) We're supposed to get anything from 3 to 10 inches of snow tomorrow. It got up to the 60's today, so I doubt it'll stick to the streets, but we'll see what happens. Ended up rounding up carts for a lot of the second half of my shift, when I wasn't trying to gather baskets, shelve cold items, retrieve more plastic bags from the storage closet, and bag for people, usually at the same time. I'd start returning cold items, then half-way through that, they'd ask me to grab plastic bags, then I'd start that, and they'd need me to bag. I wish they'd let me finish something!

I mostly puttered around online when I got home. I was too tired to do much of anything. I did manage to rearrange the Finn/Rey/Poe page, adding solo shots and ones of them with BB-8 or in twos, as well as create a page for the James Bond series.

Bond, James Bond - The Bond Movies

Finally broke for dinner around 7:30. Had crab cakes and sauteed spinach and mushrooms while watching Working Girl. Tess McGill (Melanie Griffth) is determined to move up in the business world. When her demanding boss (Sigourney Weaver) breaks her leg skiing, she discovers the woman intended to pass her idea of a company buying a radio network off as her own. She takes over her house and wardrobe in order to make sure the deal goes through, with the help of a handsome broker (Harrison Ford) with problems of his own.

Finished the night out with Brain Donors. More Proft/Zucker madness, this time spoofing the Marx Brothers and other comedy group films of the 30's and 40's. A shady shyster (John Tuturro), a jack-of-all-trades (Mel Smith), and a goofy houseboy help a wealthy widow (Nancy Marchand) start a ballet company, while helping a couple of lovers get their big break.

And...at press time, it still hasn't snowed. It's not supposed to start until early this morning. We'll see how things go.

No comments: