Thursday, February 02, 2017

The Groundhog's Shadow

I almost overslept and was late to work today - didn't even have the time to write in my journal! As it turned out, this wasn't a good thing. It's the beginning of the month, and we're fairly busy. Not to mention, they had a cashier call out and were once again short on help. I mostly bagged, but I did do carts, gathered baskets, and pulled out brown bags for the cashiers.

When I got out, I went straight home. In honor of Groundhog's Day, I ran Jack Frost while I changed, ate lunch, finally wrote in my journal, and got organized. This later Rankin-Bass special has Jack (Robert Morse) fall in love with a human girl when he uses his icy powers to rescue her. Trouble is, no one can see him. He asks to be human for a winter in order to win her. This doesn't prove easy. First, she falls for a handsome, noble knight. Second, the town where she lives is menaced by Kubla Krouse, the Cossack King. With the help of his snowy friends Snip and Holly and Pardon-Me-Pete the Groundhog, Jack comes up with a plan to keep Krouse from destroying the town...and then drive him away for good.

I'm actually kind of glad I held off on doing the laundry until today. For one thing, it was much nicer today than yesterday, still windy but sunnier and not abnormally cold for early February. For another, the laundromat was dead by the time I got there. I saw one family on their way out, and another on their way in right as I was leaving. I mostly listened to Steve Harvey and Ellen and worked on story notes.

(And yes, that sun does mean Phil saw his shadow today.)

Worked on writing and Pinterest pages when I got in. Leia and the girls are finishing their marshmallows when Kaydel says she hears voices. They check all around the outside of the cabin, but find nothing. Leia insists it's a false alarm and takes the girls back inside to tell ghost stories.

I added one of my favorite Pinterest pages yet today. Books, reading, and libraries are some of the most important parts of my life. I did a page devoted to quotes and artwork about books and reading and some splendid photos of libraries. I also added more Star Wars pages - alternative universes and behind-the-scenes photos for the Original and Prequels, the Sequels, and Han and Leia solo and together, plus a page for the Star Wars series' newest trio, Poe, Finn, and Rey, and one for Han and Luke.

Libraries, Books, and Reading
Han & Luke - Best Friends
Poe, Finn, & Rey - The Sequels Trio
Star Wars AU - Originals and Prequels
Star Wars AU - Sequels
Han & Leia AU 
Han & Leia Solo AU

Had leftovers for dinner, then made Butter Pecan-Apple Butter Cake for dessert with the apple butter Jodie gave me last week. Watched Morning Glory while I ate. Becky Fuller (Rachel McAdams) was just fired from her job at a New Jersey morning talk show. Desperate for work, she takes a job as the manager on the lowest-rated morning show in the area. Overly enthusiastic Becky has a lot of ideas on how to turn Daybreak around, including hiring former TV journalist Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford). Pomeroy used to be one of the best newscasters around, but he's gotten too big for his britches and is impossible to work with. Becky finds herself juggling Pomeroy's complaints with a relationship with her producer (Patrick Wilson) and the demands of the neruotic female co-anchor (Diane Keaton). Thing is, Daybreak may be heading for cancellation until Becky can figure out how to gain ratings and win Pomeroy's favor...fast.

I was surprised at this one. I was expecting a goofy romantic comedy, but though there is some romance, the story isn't really about that. It's more about Becky trying to juggle work, her relationship, and her new friendship with Mike. Harrison Ford's relationship with McAdams here reminded me a little of Han Solo taking Rey in during The Force Awakens - he doesn't know what to make of her at first, until he starts to warm up to her.

I was impressed. This was a fun little comedy with some nice performances and an interesting commentary on "hard" vs "soft" news and how we need a little of both - of work and play - in our lives. Fans of the cast or those looking for something more comedy and less romantic will really enjoy this one.

No comments: