Monday, March 19, 2018

Two Lost Souls

Got a late start on a sunny day with breakfast and Daffy Duck's Easter Egg-Citement. In this special from 1980, Daffy introduces three all-original shorts with a spring or Easter theme. My favorite is the first, which has him and Sylvester chasing after a gold egg. He's bedeviled by an animator with a weird sense of humor in between cartoons in a spring-themed riff on "Duck Amuck."

Spent about an hour after breakfast doing research on jobs. I'm beginning to wonder if people are right about my not being up to office work. I may be organized, but I'm not good with people. I want to write and organize and edit...but I'm not so good at selling my work or promoting myself. Book packaging was out - too much interaction. Proofreading and editing were more my speed. I might be able to do journalism if I keep it online and/or local.

Broke at quarter after 11 to get ready for work. Ran two older Daffy shorts as he did. He's most definitely not "My Favorite Duck" when he tries to steal Porky's picnic lunch by driving him crazy. His attempts to avoid Elmer Fudd's gun turns into a boxing match in "To Duck or Not to Duck"...but with the help of the referee, the match may be over before it's begun.

Work was pretty much the same off-and-on busy as yesterday. While the next major holiday isn't for two weeks, not only was today the end of a four-day sale, but we may be getting some snow and ice tomorrow. We're also a bit short-handed. Several college students are on their spring break. I heard one of the high school cashiers mention he went on his senior trip starting today. One of the older women is on leave for surgery; another will be going out on Friday. I spent most of the day outside, doing carts and trash, and avoiding the crowds. (Though I did end up bagging at a few points.)

It was a nice day to do carts. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, sunny and warmer than it has been, in the lower 50's. Went straight home after work, changed, and went right back out again. I took a bike ride around Oaklyn, then went up to the Kove Restaurant in Audubon for dinner. They're the huge beige stucco building on the hill just off Nicholson Road, before you get to the train bridge. I went out for a snack with Dad and Jodie there once; thought I'd try them on my own.

It was only just 5 at that point. The bar was the only place that was busy. A waitress took me to one of the incredibly tall purplish booths on the side. The tables were so big, you practically needed a map just to find the other side. I ordered a Turkey BLT. It was almost as big as the fruit and cream cheese sandwich from Saturday. I enjoyed the thick, real turkey slices with cheddar and lettuce on toasted sourdough bread.

By the time I got out, it was starting to get much colder. Not to mention, that sandwich really made me full. I rode home and spent the next few hours writing. Obi-Wan announces that the next town they'll be visiting is Scarif. They'll likely sell the cart there. It's too conspicuous. Leia asks Han if he can remember how to ride; he boasts that he's the best rider anywhere, no matter what shape he's currently in. Luke explains that he's not sure if there's a way to lift the spell on him. He and Obi-Wan will do research to find out how to break the spell.

Got off at 8 for a shower. As soon as I finished, I put on Marty. This sweet little movie tells the story of the title character (Ernest Borganine), a gentle butcher who lives in the Bronx with his mother (Esther Minciotti). He's shy, and as he's not the most gorgeous guy around, he figures he's doomed to lonliness. One night, while attending a local dance, Marty meets a plain schoolteacher named Clara (Betsy Blair) who was abandoned by her date. She feels just as lonely and awkward as he does. Trouble is, his mother is afraid he'll abandon her, and all his buddies expect him to pick some gorgeous dame. They harass him into forgetting her...until he realizes that if he loves Clara and she loves him, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Awww. This was one of the most honest and simple depictions of falling in love I've ever seen. I loved how intimate and gentle it was. Marty and Clara may not be the the most beautiful or dramatic couple, but they're so lonely and kind-hearted, you just root for them. (It apparently started out as a TV play, which actually does explain a lot about the intimacy.)  I'm not the only one who loved this, either. This was a surprise hit in 1955 and won Best Picture, best director for Delbert Mann, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Actor for Borganine. (Blair and Joe Mantell, as Marty's best friend, were nominated.)

If you're looking for something different in your screen romances, or want to try a lower-key love story than usual, this tale of lost souls finding each other despite the derision of others is highly recommended and really lovely.

No comments: