Friday, May 18, 2018

The Rain, the Mall, and Other Things

I was so excited about our first mall trip of the week, I couldn't sleep this morning. It was raining when I got up at quarter of 7, but not heavily. I finished Han Solo's Revenge, wrote in my journal, and messed around online until Lauren got up around 10.

Ran a couple of She-Ra episodes while I ate breakfast and we got organized. Adora and Bow find themselves in an "Enchanted Castle" when they're captured by an evil sorceress. They're rescued by an old woman they helped on the road, who teaches them a lesson in kindness and looking beyond appearances. Madame Razz, her broom, and Kowl are "Three Courageous Hearts" who must find the spell book that will release She-Ra from the Sixth Dimension.

We rushed out around 10:45 to catch the 11:12 bus to Cherry Hill. It was still raining when we left, a light shower that made everyone damp, but didn't do much else...and certainly not the torrential downpour everyone talked about for today. The bus was about five or so minutes late, nothing outrageous, and we had no trouble getting to the mall.

We took quick looks at Game Stop first, but neither of us picked up anything there. Lauren found t-shirts for her parents at the Disney Store and shirts for herself at work at Macy's. I didn't pick up anything from either store. They had Solo: A Star Wars Story merchandise, but not much, and nothing that exciting. (Too bad the giant Ewok honoring the 35th anniversary of Return of the Jedi was so expensive.)

Macy's is just a few doors down from The Disney Store. We walked around there for about a half-hour. I'm not the biggest fan of Macy's and didn't find anything interesting, but Lauren found several of her favorite style of blouses for work. We also ran into Jessa, who works at that Macy's, heading for another department. She was talking about her and Joe taking Lauren and me to see wrestling at Atlantic City...but Joe has a cold, and they may not be able to do it. That's ok. Most of our plans for tomorrow were in the morning.

By the time we headed across the pedestrian bridge to the Hillview Shopping Center, the rain was long gone. It was replaced by a cold, stiff wind that lingered for the rest of the day. Shivering, we ducked into the Silver Diner for lunch. They were very busy, not surprising for 1 PM. We both opted for their $9.99 lunch specials. I had the Tarragon Crabcake, cole slaw, and Old Bay fries. Lauren had a bowl of chicken soup and the half of a turkey club that I had a while back. Yum! The crab cake was even better than their fish and chips, perfectly cooked and seasoned just right. (The Silver Diner is a Maryland franchise - they know their seafood.) Lauren really seemed to love hers, too.

Hit Kohl's next. I picked up two much-needed bras. (Mine are very old and very worn.) Lauren found a couple of shirts she liked on a rack near the entrance at the last minute!

Target was just as busy. We explored the toy aisle, but neither of us found anything we couldn't live without. Lauren already had the "Rowdy" Roddy Piper figure on the shelves, and they didn't have the Kylo Ren/Rey doll set I've been looking for. She bought a bra; I picked up a box of Pillsbury Strawberry cake mix that was on a good sale. I'll make Lauren and me a berry cake later in the week.

Lauren and I headed back across the pedestrian bridge and though the mall. To our disappointment, Jay Street Video Games was gone. It must have just happened; I'm pretty sure they were there when I was at the mall for my birthday last month. Nothing either of us wanted at Build-a-Bear. We did better at JC Penney; we both picked up pretty blouses. I like the simple red print on the peach background on the shirt I found.

I met Lauren at the food court, which is almost right next to JC Penney. I had a wonderfully tart-sweet Orangeberry Julius. Lauren had a Cherry Coke and a huge chicken and cheese quesadilla, the latter of which she shared with me.

We finished our snack with just enough time to head upstairs and catch our bus home. The bus was once again five minutes late...and this time, it had a good reason. Traffic was pretty heavy around the Cooper River Bridge and the entrance to Haddon Township by Cooper River Park. A ride that should have been 20 minutes ended up being more like 40. Made a quick jump into WaWa for money on the way home.

After we got in and put everything away, we first played Wii Sports. Lauren killed me at everything we played; I got the closest to her in golf. Switched to Lego Indiana Jones around quarter after 7. We took Marion and Indy through the streets of Cairo and over its rooftops, smashing so many jars, we got our first True Adventurer. Didn't do nearly well on the very long and complicated "Well of Souls." We managed to get through it, and even get a few pieces, but we lost most of our money doing so.

Had leftover bean dip and hummus for dinner, then went online while watching the original, non Lego Raiders of the Lost Ark. Professor Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. (Harrison Ford) has been hired by the US Government to find the Ark of the Covenant, a biblical artifact of indescribable power. The Nazis are also seeking the Ark, lead by Indy's old rival Bellaq (Paul Freeman). In order to find the Ark, he needs to get a priceless medallion from his ex-girlfriend Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen). She joins him and his friend Sallah (John Rhys-Davies) in Cario..but even when they do find the Ark, the Nazis are quickly on their tail. Indy, Marion, and the Ark are ultimately captured by the Nazis, who intend to use its power to take over the world. Indy's the only one who knows how to survive what comes out of the Ark...and why some mysteries are better left undiscovered.

First, and probably the most beloved, of the Indiana Jones films. This one introduced the character, Marion Ravenwood, and the premise of a globe-trotting archeologist/adventurer searching for artifacts in the 30's, 40's and 50's. A classic action adventure that's highly recommended.

No comments: