Saturday, January 19, 2019

Last Day of Vacation

Started off a blah, cloudy day with cartoons during breakfast. Mickey Mouse gets the spotlight this time in a few color shorts I haven't been able to find offline. "Mickey's Circus" is mainly dominated by Donald Duck and his seal act...at least until Mick's nephews Morty and Ferdie and their buddies decide to try to shoot their uncle and his anger-prone pal out of a cannon! "Mickey's Garden," the first Mickey cartoon in color, gets a little freakier when Mick dreams that he and Pluto shrink to ant-size and are attacked by the very critters he tried to clear out of his vegetable patch. While Mick shows off "On Ice" for a delighted Minnie, Donald teases Pluto by putting him on skates, and Goofy attempts ice fishing.

Headed out to run some quick errands as soon as the cartoons ended. My first stop was the Oaklyn Library. Despite the blah weather, there wasn't much going on there. I dropped three of the four DVDs off (I'll do Christopher Robin on Monday), looked over the DVD shelves, and moved on.

Dodged noon traffic next to return DVDs to the Haddon Township Library. I don't think I'll be able to get over there until late next week. While I didn't take out anything else, I did find the rare video of the only Peanuts special that has yet to see a DVD release, You're In the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown.

Made a quick stop at Dollar Tree next for a new scrub brush and a shower curtain. I actually found a very pretty shower curtain in a nice autumn print of red, green, and yellow leaves on a cream-colored background. It took longer in there than I'd planned. The line was literally half-way across the store. Thank goodness a young man opened a register shortly after I got in line.

I hadn't eaten at the Westmont Bagel Shop in a while, so I went there next. They've gone through their second major remodeling in two years since the last time I was there. I'm disappointed. The walls are now dull white and festooned with stock photos of landscapes and bagels rather than the Philly sports articles and photos they used to have. There's a few left, but not nearly as many. The TVs are gone, too. At least my hot roast beef wrap with lettuce, provolone cheese, and horseradish mayo was tasty.

Took a peek at the House of Fun on the way home. They were also fairly busy with collectors checking out various action figures. I considered Star Wars 12-inch dolls, Funko Pops, and Sailor Moon figures, but finally decided I've spent enough money this week and just went home.

Things didn't go much better once I got in. I tried to make Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts, but even with the oil, the donuts were too dry and fell apart when I pulled them out. I made the glaze way too watery, too. It just sunk in the donut.

Cheered myself up with two winter-themed episodes of Perfect Strangers from the second season. Larry learns that it's "Snow Way to Treat a Lady" when he lies to his girlfriend Jennifer about being an expert skier to impress her. Balki keeps shoving his lying in his face, and even he finally regrets it when the trio are stranded in a cabin after an avalanche and he and Balki have to tunnel out.

Finished out the Mickey Mouse set while cleaning up the donut mess. Mickey and Donald take Morty, Ferdie, and their buddies out for an "Orphan's Picnic." Morty and Ferdie proceed to play the same kind of pranks on Donald that his own nephews would in about three years or so. It's "Moving Day" for Donald, Mick, and Goofy when Sheriff Pete repossesses their house. They have to get the furniture out before Pete can sell it at auction. (Skipped "Hawaiian Holiday" and "The Little Whirlwind," both of which I have in full elsewhere.)

Worked on writing for a while as the donuts cooled. They do manage to sneak past the guards and into Nottingham Castle. While Friar Ben goes to release the drawbridge, Han, Luke, Chewbacca, and Thomas head off into the castle itself to free Maid Leia.

It was nearly 7 before I broke for dinner. Ate roasted potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower and baked coconut-crusted tilapia while watching Broadway: The American Musical. I go further into this documentary miniseries on the history of the stage musical at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Broadway: The American Musical 

Incidentally, it started pouring around 8 PM and has been going ever since. I'll still take a deluge over the two feet of snow Lauren's supposed to get up north.

No comments: