Sunday, May 12, 2019

Here Comes That Rainy Day

It was gloomy and raining (again) when I rolled out of bed this morning. Put on my Roberta LP as I made Buttermilk Whole Wheat Pancakes for breakfast. This recording from the early 50's has more of the original score than either film version. Jack Cassidy joins Broadway singer Joan Roberts for my favorite number from this show, the charming "Let's Begin;" he also gets "I Won't Dance" with Kaye Ballard.

Headed off to work shortly after the album ended. I just barely made it on time...and wet. It wasn't raining around 10, but it started up again right before I left. I arrived at work quite wet. Good thing it wasn't busy when I arrived. I finally had the chance to finish shelving the last of the candy. I also cleaned the bathrooms and gathered baskets. It started getting busier around 2...which, of course, is when the other bagger went home. I had no help for the next two hours and had to try to sweep and do the carts at the same time. They eventually sent some of the cashiers out to help with the carts. I spent the last hour and a half outside, including when the night bagger arrived.

Went straight home after work. Thankfully, by that point, it was mildly misting, allowing me to get home only a little bit damp. I had a quick leftovers dinner while listening to one of my Have a Nice Day 70's CDs before doing some writing. Luke is delighted to discover he can fly under his own power. His delight diminishes somewhat when  he runs into Mara Jadeson in a helicopter just outside the Channel 11 offices. She wants the official scoop on the battle between the Rebels and the Empire, but Luke wishes she'd just get out of harm's way.

Played some Lego Star Wars after I finished writing. Did Free Play on "The Droid Factory," "Jedi Battle," and "Count Dooku." Got all the pieces on "Droid Factory" but couldn't find the red brick; found the red brick on "Dooku," but missed two pieces. "Jedi Battle" is a short boss round that's not hard to figure out; it was the only one I managed to get the pieces and the brick on.

Finished the night with the 1959 original cast recording of Gypsy with Ethel Merman. Rose is the ultimate stage mother, pushing and shoving her children into vaudeville whether they like it or not. She picked a bad time to do it. It's the early 30's, and vaudeville is dying, a victim of radio, talking movies, and the Depression. Her daughters did eventually become stars...as stage actress June Havoc and striptease artist and mystery novelist Gypsy Rose Lee, largely without their mother's help.

One of the most beloved of all musicals (with one of the juiciest female roles) has been revived many times since 1959, with two Broadway revivals debuting in the 2000's alone. Whether you go with Merman or Tyne Daly or Angela Landsbury or Bernadette Peters or Patti LuPone, this show is a must-have in your collection.

And I hope you all had a wonderful (and much drier) Mother's Day! I did text my mother during break; she texted back to thank me after dinner. (I'm guessing she probably had work.)

No comments: