Friday, May 24, 2019

Welcome to the Weekend

My eyes opened around 7...and I went back to sleep for another hour or so. Read and did my journal in bed, then had breakfast and made Strawberry-Banana Muffins while watching the Looney Tunes World War II shorts from the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 6. Favorites on this set include Bugs annoying a caractured Joseph Gobbels in "Herr Meets Hare," barnyard foul retelling the events leading up to the war and Pearl Harbor in "The Ducknators," "Wacky Blackout" and "Weakly Reader" spoofing the homefront, and Bosko the Talk-Ink Kid fighting and singing in the World War I trenches in "Bosko the Doughboy."

Finally headed out around quarter of noon. First stop of the day was the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteering session. There were a few people reading and one person on the computer, a bit surprising for such a lovely day. I organized DVDs and board books and shelved children's books. Took the long way down Nicholson Road to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, especially after yesterday. It was sunny and breezy, warm but not too hot, probably in the mid-70's. It was a lovely beginning to the holiday weekend.

Stopped in Five Below when I arrived. I forgot to pick up a new dry erase board for my schedules when we were at the mall on Wednesday. Mine is scratched and doesn't write very well anymore. The line was long, but went pretty fast.

I had lunch at Applebee's. Joe paid for our meal on Tuesday. I didn't get to use my birthday gift card. I enjoyed the unusually quiet lunch hour while noshing on honey chicken strips, salty fries covered in honey sauce, iced tea, and their amazing French onion soup.

I didn't have much grocery shopping to do at the Acme. I wanted to use my Monopoly coupons before they expire. Used ones for Softsoap, Chicken of the Sea tuna, and two for free boxes of Organic Animal Crackers. There were good sales on Turkey Hill ice cream (thought I'd try the Tripolitain Coffee Cake) and cherries. Restocked bananas, dark cocoa, yogurt, skim milk, mandarin orange cups, canned white and black beans, and bacon (turkey this time).

Was mainly there for next week's schedule. In good news, early hours will allow me to get a lot done this week once we get away from the holiday weekend, and I have three days off, including Tuesday for counseling. In annoying news, I work seven hours on Memorial Day, and I don't have as many hours I as I was getting before vacation.

When I got home, I put everything away while finishing the remaining Looney Tunes wartime shorts. Bugs is a "Super Rabbit" in a Superman parody who goes up against a cowboy with a hatred of rabbits. He does everything he can to get the fellow to back down. "Draftee Daffy" would do anything avoid that determined "Little Man From the Draft Board." "Falling Hare" is one of my favorite Bugs shorts. It's one of the rare cartoons where he goes up against an antagonist who gives as good as they get, in this case a gremlin he catches sabotaging planes.

It was such a nice day, I decided to pick up eggs at Dollar General today instead of tomorrow. It was too lovely to spend the entire day inside. Evidently, a lot of people had the same idea, as they were also fairly busy. I grabbed my eggs (which are $1.25 at Dollar General) and a bottle of Orange Cream Coke and got out.

Worked on writing for a couple of hours. Luke's exhausted from pushing his powers and the rapidly oncoming night. Harris manages to catch him before he hits the ground, and with Shara "Captain Aero" Bey and Wedge Antilles, returns to Yavin Park. Shara invites everyone to a party at her boyfriend Kes' coffee shop. Charlie's not as happy. Rudy was shot down; he's alive but bloody, battered, and unconscious. He stays with his friends as the paramedics take him to the nearest hospital.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had leftovers while watching a Three Stooges short. They're "Back from the Front" when their Navy ship is sunk and they find themselves on a Nazi boat. They first try to blend in with the crew, then takes on the entire ship themselves.

Played Lego Pirates of the Caribbean for a while after dinner. I got through "The Black Pearl Attacks" just fine, though it took me a little while to figure out where to go on the flooded second and third floors. I never finished "Smuggler's Island." It froze up on me almost 3/4th of the way through. I'll try again tomorrow.

Finished the night with The Apple Dumpling Gang. Gambler Russell Donovan (Bill Bixby) finds himself saddled with three orphans when he thinks he's getting "valuables" from an old partner John Wintle (Don Knight). The kids drive Donovan and everyone else in town crazy, at least until they find a big gold nugget in a mine that was previously considered to be dry. Now everyone wants the kids. Donovan puts a stop to that by marrying tough saloon driver Dusty (Susan Clark). When Whintle comes back and claims the kids, they run away to Amos and Theodore (Don Knotts and Tim Conway), a pair of bumbling crooks who had befriended them earlier, and convince them to steal the nugget from the bank. If there's no nugget, they can stay with Donovan. But the Stillwell Gang, a far more vicious group of criminals, also has a plan to rob the nuggets, and they're a lot more competent than Amos and Theodore.

This is an old childhood favorite of mine. It's not the darkest or strongest western in the world (which I suspect is what critics wanted at the time), but it's still pretty funny, especially Bixby and Clark's bickering and Amos and Theodore's antics. This was the most popular Disney movie of 1975, and I'm inclined to agree with the majority here. If you love the cast or comic westerns, this one is definitely worth the mine train ride for.

No comments: