Sunday, May 05, 2019

Amigos In the Rain

It was raining when I got up this morning, but not hard. I didn't think I'd get a ride early or on a busy weekend, so I rode to work and got mildly damp. Work was the same as yesterday - crazy. Thankfully, someone took over doing carts about half-way through the morning, but every time I'd try to get candy shelved or put something away, they'd throw me in a register. All I did was panic, including totally messing up a WIC check order and holding up the line.

It was raining harder by the time I got off. I ran into Dana on my way out, but she didn't have room for my bike in her van. I just rode home and got wet.

Ran an quick Mickey Mouse short as I changed and dried off. "The Galloping Gaucho" was the second Mickey cartoon made and the second one released. Mickey is the title character, the beer-drinking caballero who has to rescue Senorita Minnie from nasty Pete...but the rhea he rides gets drunk and doesn't make pursuit easy.

Watched two short episodes of Danger Mouse while making Banana-Peanut Butter Pancakes for lunch (since I left in too much of a hurry to make them for breakfast). "Bandits, Beans, and Ballyhoo" has DM and Penfold chasing after a Mexican bandit that they accidentally brought into England across Drury Lane and the London Theater District and British Museum. "The Good, the Bad, and the Motionless" is an even stranger tale. Danger Mouse has to fight his rarely-seen bad side while time (and Penfold) stands still at Stonehenge.

Switched to Lego Star Wars after I ate. Got through the two Jabba the Hutt-based episodes. Didn't find many pieces on "Jabba's Palace," but I did find the red brick (probably the easiest red brick to find in the whole game) and earned True Jedi. Got a few pieces on the sail barge round, but just barely missed True Jedi.

Spent the next few hours writing. Vader and Tarkin reveal that they did, indeed, put a homing beacon on the Falcon...and that Vader is really Darren Vedder, Chief of Police and second in command in Coruscant City. Mara Jadeson tries to interview him about the laser coming from Mufasar Iron Works, but he brushes her off.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Made tacos and steamed broccoli while watching sitcom episodes set in Mexico and South America. Max and 99 aren't saying "Viva Smart" in the third season of Get Smart when they pose as flamenco dancers in a South American country ruled by an insane dictator and end up in front of a firing squad. "It's a Nice Place to Visit" takes The Monkees to Mexico, where they free Davy from bandits who don't like him flirting with the head man's girl.

Finished the night after a shower with Three Amigos. Martin Short, Chevy Chase, and Steve Martin are the title characters, former silent movie stars who are fired from their studio when they try to hold out for more money. They take a job in Mexico, thinking that they have to put on a show for a small town. Turns out that the bandits who have invaded the village are real...and so's the danger. The Amigos run out at first, but they finally realize they really don't have anywhere else to go. They set out to take on the bandit El Guapo...and teach themselves and the whole town a lesson in standing up for your beliefs and facing your fears.

Another comedy we watched a lot of cable, and later on Dad's old video copy, during my childhood. All three comedians are hilarious as the trio of performers, and there's a nice score by Randy Newman. If you love the cast or western spoofs, you'll have a lot of fun with this one.

And the rain has continued on and off, sometimes heavily, all day. I'm so glad I only worked for a few hours this morning. It's supposed to rain for a lot of this week, thankfully not as heavily as today.

No comments: