Thursday, May 30, 2024

Dolls at Home

I didn't feel very well when I rolled out of bed this morning. I had the chills last night, I was achy, and my back was really sore. I slept fitfully off and on until about 8:30. Finished Little Black Book by Kate Carlisle and wrote in my journal, then watched PAW Patrol at Paramount Plus. "Pups Save a Blimp" when they retrieve Cap'n Turnbot's weather-recording blimp after Mayor Humdinger steals it to change the weather in Foggy Bottom. "Pups Save the Chili Cook-Off" after Mr. Porter's oven blows up, spewing chili and making him sneeze uncontrollably. The pups decide to make Mr. Porter's delicious chili recipe outside. Mayor Humdinger thinks that's a great idea, too, but something seems a little off about his chili...

I found the most adorable little rolly-poly stuffed porcupine in a bag of unwanted toys in front of the Lutheran Church preschool yesterday. I'm not going to keep her, but I can give her to a nice family via Goodwill. I washed her, then fixed a hole near the top of her gray fur. Watched The Heat's On while I worked. I go further into the last movie Mae West made for 27 years at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Switched to Split Second after the movie ended. I forgot Buzzr pushed this show back to noon. Came in during the second half of the first episode. It was close, but one lady finally forged ahead in what proved to be a very short Countdown Round. I was surprised as her when she chose the car on her very first try! They skipped ahead quite a bit, as they mentioned one of the two women in the next episode was a returning champion. This time, the other lady and the one guy were close for much of the game, but he got ahead on the Countdown Round. Once again, he chose the car on his first try.

After that, I switched to dressing the dolls for June and warmer weather. Samantha is in her tight pink Frilly Frock with the lacy skirt and pearly lilac boots. Josefina looks lovely in her Weaving Outfit with the tan and maroon flowered print on the skirt and maroon trim. Whitney wears the red, white, and blue bow themed Back to School Outfit with the blue cardigan and the adorable red strap shoes with the polka-dot bows. Jessa just wears a pair of jean shorts with the pink and yellow tye-dye flower t-shirt and the leather sandals from Ariel's birthday dress. 

Ariel is trying on the pretty flowered Walmart sundress Lauren sent for Christmas with the turquoise windbreaker. Felicity's in the white gown with the blue cabbage roses I found at a booth in the Deptford Mall years ago. Molly's Birthday Pinafore with the rick-rack trimmed ruffled sleeves is more appropriate for early summer than her April birthday. Kit is in her yellow Floral Print Dress. The white shoes from her birthday dress look better with this than the beige shoes that came with it. Put Barbara Jean in what amounts to her "Meet" outfit, the purple and magenta paisley mini dress she came in. Her original stockings are too fragile to wear, so she's in a pair of bright pink stocking with her own white strap shoes. 

Listened to the remaining two Judy Garland CDs while I worked. The first one was worth the entire four-disc set. Judy joins Bing Crosby for a batch of hilarious numbers I suspect were mainly recorded for his Kraft Music Hall radio show. The duo have a great time singing "Wait 'Till the Sun Shines Nellie," "Connecticut," "Who," and "Sam's Song." Bob Hope joins them for a satirical "Goodnight Irene." The fourth disc featured one of Judy's many appearances at the Palace Theater in New York. I liked her medley of songs from famous vaudeville performers who had headlined at the Palace when it was the hub for variety in New York and a hilarious "Couple of Swells." 

After that, I went down for a nap. I was too tired to do anything else. I had a temperature of 99.7 when I got up this morning! If I'd had work today, I would have called out. At least it cooled off considerably overnight. There was a wonderful, fresh breeze coming in my window that made sleeping a pleasure. I passed out around 2:30 and didn't open my eyes until after 6. 

After I finally rolled out of bed, I checked my temperature. It was now a perfectly normal 97.3. I was still tired, but I felt a lot less woozy, and the chills were gone. It was likely a reaction to the Covid shot I got yesterday. 

I still wasn't up to cooking, so I headed out to find dinner. Besides, it was too nice to be inside the entire day. The bright sunshine and soft blue skies were joined by those wonderful winds and far cooler temperatures, barely in the 70's. Grabbed a fish sandwich and Diet Pepsi at a busy Crown Chicken and Gyro and oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies at Los Amigos Bakery.

Had dinner at home while watching Match Game Syndicated. Foster Brooks, Scoey Mitchilll, and Real People hostess Sarah Purcell joined in here. Gene teased Scoey about actually smiling during the intro. (Which he should have done more often - he had a lovely smile.) The contestant surprisingly had more trouble with "___ Madison" in the Audience Match, considering Brett had been married to the man who played Oscar Madison.

Finished the night with the last of the CDs I've dug up lately. Malt Shop Memories was a series of 2-disc CD sets put out by Time-Life during the mid-2000's. The first disc in the "All I Have to Do Is Dream" set goes for teen drama, with sad ballads like "Teen Angel" and "Raindrops." I prefer more upbeat numbers like "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen" and "Little Bitty Pretty One." The second one is all about Motown and 60's R&B and soul, with hits like "Baby Love" by the Supremes, "Dancing In the Street" and "Love Is LIke a Heat Wave," by Martha and the Vandellas and "Twilight Time" by the Platters. 

No comments: