Thursday, May 09, 2024

The Long and Winding Road

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Mickey's Show and Tell" will have each member of the crew showing off their favorite shapes. Martian Mickey arrives with his moving shape pets. After Donald accidentally scares the pets into running away, the rest of the gang has to chase after them while showing off their favorite shapes.

Karen picked me up promptly at 10 AM. I got a text from Bear Paddle Swim School late yesterday. They want to interview me for their job as Front Desk Receptionist! Now I just need to get my schedule tomorrow, so I can tell them when I can take that interview. We also applied for secretarial jobs at Seahawk Services, a marine supply store in Paulsboro, and the Deptford Center health offices.

She was kind enough to drop me off at Sprouts, so I could get some grocery shopping done before the weather got ugly. Honeycrisp apples were $1.77 a pound. Grabbed more Annie's Organic Granola Bars, too, and an orange. (I thought I was out of oranges, but I do have one left for tomorrow.) Found peanut butter cookies on the bakery clearance rack.

Headed to Target next before the high schoolers got off for lunch. Mainly needed to restock my fish oil vitamins here. Picked up thin pads too; had online coupons for disinfectant wipes and Made Good granola bars. 

Had lunch at the Westmont Bagel Shop after I got out of Target. I was greeted by a long line. Thankfully, they were either large groups, or were picking up orders. I was quickly able to get my egg white and vegetable omelet with provolone cheese and Blueberry French Toast bagel. Enjoyed them while listening to 70's and 80's hits on their intercom. 

I originally planned on taking Uber home. It was cloudy, humid, and a bit cooler when I got up this morning. Since it wasn't raining, or even windy, I walked back to Oaklyn. There were a couple of people also out for strolls that I had to dodge on Cuthbert Road. Even the kids at Jennings Elementary a block from Cuthbert were running around their school garden and playground, enjoying the unexpected weather.

Soon as I got back, I put everything upstairs, then went back out again. I mainly wanted to drop my Mother's Day card and gift card for Mom at the post office. Dollar General is a block from there, so I went that way next. Picked up pads for a better price than Target had them and a Coke Zero.

Took out the recycling, then went upstairs to watch Split Second. A young man who had gotten into a car accident less than an hour after getting his license really wanted a vehicle of his own. He won the first episode with no trouble, but missed the car. He was beaten in the second episode by a woman who managed to hold off her attacker in New York before he really hurt her. She just barely beat the kid in the regular and Countdown rounds, but also didn't get the car and opted to return.

I tried to take a nap after that, but despite it not being that hot, it was still really humid. Everything stuck to me. I finally gave up and watched Let It Be on Disney Plus instead. I go further into this documentary on the Beatles' last album and performance as a group at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Since I just finished Let It Be, I listened to the second disc from The Beatles 1967-1970 (aka The Blue Album) for even more songs from this era. Frankly, I prefer the later, more mature Beatles from Revolver onwards to the earlier, less polished work, and these songs are a good example of why. Along with cuts from The White Album, Abbey Road, and Let It Be, we have singles that weren't collected on any other album at the time. John's catchy and frustrated "Ballad of John and Yoko" is my favorite of these. I also like "Get Back," "Don't Let Me Down," and the title song from Let It Be

Had a small dinner while watching Match Game '77. Polly Holiday of Alice and Fannie Flagg joined in for this southern-fried week. Charles is nervous when the contestant wants him to do "__ Tubes" for the Head-to-Head, but he's a lot better at that than he gives himself credit for.

Finished the night with the last of my recent record acquisitions. Orson Welles played The Shadow for the first two years of its 17 year run on radio. Ironically, considering he didn't have much to do with the actual show, I tend to find his episodes the most. "The Message from the Hill" and "Murders In Wax" are from the second season of his run, when Margot Stevenson briefly took over as his Margo Lane. 

Superman seems to be a kids' recording of Superman stories from the mid-late 70's, just prior to the 1978 film changing a lot of people's idea of the Man of Steel. The stories feature very little violence, and are mostly Superman scolding or directing some wayward character out of trouble (though The Mole is the villain in the slightly-more violent "P.O Box 65"). "The Mystery of the Mad Minnows" in particular gets a little too heavily into its environmental message as Superman finds out how giant sea creatures turned up at polluted Crystal Beach. These stories are as disco-era as you can get. Clark, Jimmy, and Lois even work at something called "Galaxy Broadcasting," rather than the Daily Planet. 

Oh, and it did finally rain, and rain hard...around midnight-1 AM, when I was long at home and chatting with Lauren. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

I was reading "Superman" comics for a while back then. During the 70s Clark, Lois, and Jimmy all worked for billionaire Morgan Edge at Galaxy Broadcasting. Clark was an anchorman and Lois was a reporter on the street. Perry White still ran the "Daily Planet"--maybe Jimmy still worked for him--and the newspaper was a subsidiary of Galaxy Broadcasting. There was also a new character in the ensemble, Steve Lombard, ex-NFL turned sportscaster, who was always harassing Clark.