Thursday, June 06, 2024

I'll Follow the Sun

This time, we started the morning with an Uber ride. It rained and thundered hard last night, and though it was cloudy and humid when the driver picked us up, it wasn't raining. There was a hiccup when he turned off to the wrong mall, but he finally got turned around and dropped us off at the Silver Diner for breakfast.

The Silver Diner specializes in comfort food made with healthy or sustainable ingredients. Lauren had high marks for her Jack cheese omelet and slightly crumbly but tasty biscuit, but said the potatoes had been over browned. My quinoa, blueberry, and coconut pancakes were just as good today as they were in February.

After lunch, we were in and out of Kohl's and Target, but bought nothing at either store. We just didn't find anything interesting at Kohl's. The Target was a mess. Clothes, boxes, and merchandise were scattered everywhere. It looked like a bomb hit it. I did check out the records, but we ultimately decided we'd do better at the mall and headed out.

Started off at Nordstrom's, since it's right there when you come in off the bridge leading to the Hillview Shopping Center. I peered around, but found nothing of interest. They're expensive and don't really carry my size. Lauren couldn't find anything there either and ultimately moved on.

Made a short stop at FYE next. While Lauren browsed through their t-shirts, I had to check out their records. Fished A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving out of the soundtrack bin. I've wanted that for ages, but it wasn't even cheap on Amazon. I've had the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack for years. (I'd also like to get the soundtrack for Great Pumpkin, and it looks like the soundtrack for It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown will be released on vinyl next month.)

We made our way to the JC Penney on the other side of the mall after leaving FYE. I did great there, thanks to some good sales. Picked up a really nice striped cotton button-down shirt for $20. Found a pair of Muk Luk sleep socks laying around in the housewares department. I had no idea what they were doing there. Since they were on a deep discount and I loved the ones Jessa gave me at Christmas, I grabbed them. 

Old Navy is right next-door to JC Penney. We both ended up buying the same pairs of shorts in different sizes and colors. She got bright pink, orange, and green. I bought orange and indigo denim. The orange came up to the original $18, but the denim turned out to be $12.

Headed downstairs for lunch at the food court. She had two huge slices of mushroom and pepperoni pizza. I went to Saladworks for something healthier. After some mix-ups, I finally got a turkey and ranch sandwich with a Farmer's Market Salad. Not bad. The sandwich was filled with turkey and bacon and lots of cheese on a crusty garlic roll. The salad had good, crisp lettuces, butternut squash, turkey, Brussels sprouts, and even grapes. Had a hot whole wheat roll with my meal.

We were in and out of smaller stores for the next hour or so. Checked out Rumi Life, Miniso, The Lego Store, and Hot Topic, but bought nothing anywhere. (The Squishables store was closed when we went by.) Lauren did much better at Macy's. She found a beautiful green velvet dress with ruffled trim and some nice shirts. I just used the bathroom. 

There's a Starbucks at one corner of Macy's as you enter the store. We were thirsty after running around all afternoon and badly needed a drink. She decided just to try a plain coffee. (She said it wasn't bad. Nice and smooth, and it didn't have a burnt taste like Dunkin' Donuts'.) I had a tasty and sweet Mocha Cookies Frappuccino. 

I briefly considered us taking the bus, since it still wasn't raining. In fact, the sun had come out. We came to the conclusion that we were too tired to hike from the bus stop to where I live and just called Uber. The driver took 15 minutes to get there, but it was also 4:30, the height of rush hour. The traffic wasn't bad until he turned onto Cuthbert Road, and even that could have taken longer. We got home by a little after 5.

I took a shower after we got organized. When I got out, we played Password for an hour, then had dinner while watching Match Game Syndicated. They skipped a few weeks, resuming in the middle of the week with Wesley Eure of Days of Our Lives and Land of the Lost, Debralee Scott, Bob Barker, and Marcia Wallace. Everyone teased Charles about his bright orange shirt in the first episode, but he had the last laugh by doing well with "Dough __" on the Head-to-Head. The second episode got even wilder when Debralee got an easy "Incredible __" on her Head-to-Head, Bob protests when Gene covers the slit skirt worn by a copy girl he was drooling over and curses when he's almost hit on the Star Wheel, and Marcia nearly falls asleep on Gene when he drones on. 

Finished the night at Kanopy with Strike Me Pink. I go into further detail on Eddie Cantor's last Goldwyn extravaganza at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: