Sunday, June 30, 2024

Laugh Your Matches Off

Began the morning with a quick breakfast and Swing and Dance With Frank Sinatra. This 1998 CD expansion of a 1950 Sinatra album features some of his most famous songs, including "Saturday Night Is the Loneliest Night of the Week," "I've Got a Crush On You," and two versions of "All of Me." I liked "It All Depends On You," "Nevertheless," and "It's Only a Paper Moon."

The thunderstorms from last night returned...just as I was getting ready for work. This wasn't a day for bike riding. I ended up taking Uber. Got it in 9 minutes this morning and was almost late for work. Surprisingly, given I got off at 5:30 and there was another storm looming, I got a ride home in less than 3 minutes. No trouble either way, not even traffic at rush-hour. I just beat the storm going home. It had just begun to rain a little as I dashed in the house. 

It was cool, cloudy, and killer humid for most of the morning. The sun came out around 2 PM, but the humidity never went away. I spent five out of the six hours I was at the Acme pushing carts. It wasn't bad this morning, but the sun brought killer heat along with the humidity. At least the college-age guys who work on the weekends were able to sweep and get the trash. I got so hot and sticky, I spent the last hour or so putting away things people didn't want inside.

Soon as I got home, I finished the Sinatra CD, then went downstairs for a shower. Finished the night after that on YouTube with today's Match Game marathon. Brett Somers was in the spotlight, likely in honor of her birthday on July 11th. She had a very distinct, throaty laugh that was heard quite often on the show, usually when her best friend Charles Nelson Reilly tossed out another wisecrack. 

It was heard on the several occasions she feuded with the person who ran the buzzer, including when she almost lost her cards and Charles just barely caught them in 1974. There was the time she sat on the bottom tier so her friend Anne Meara could sit next to William Shatner, or her two weeks sitting next to her then-husband Jack Klugman in 1973. Jack would reappear in 1978, well after their divorce. The others held a mock-wedding for them in the last 30 seconds. Or the PM episode Gene spent chatting with a woman who spoken Serbo-Croatian, which he had learned from his immigrant parents. 

Laugh your blank off with Match Game's favorite slightly tipsy character actress in this wacky marathon!


(Incidentally, it's rained at least three more times since I got home, including just as I got online. The last one I heard was around 11. They disappeared after that and haven't been heard from since.)

No comments: