Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Catch Me If You Can

Began the morning with breakfast and The Muppet Show. Actress and future politician Glenda Jackson appeared in one of the most unique episodes of the fifth season as a pirate who takes over the show and somehow turns the backstage area into a ship at sea. The remaining Muppets continue to do their acts while trying to figure out how to get their stage back. The Swedish Chef would rather figure out how to get Jackson's parrot into an oven.

Hurried off to work after the show ended. Boy, do I wish I hadn't. We were busy for most of the afternoon. It's the beginning of the month and our Senior Discount Day. I tried to keep up with the carts and doing the sweeping and cleaning the bathrooms every hour on the hour, and I got called to help older people load bags into their cars. No one was in a good mood, including many of my co-workers. I was so happy when I got done!

Had a little grocery shopping I couldn't put off. I mainly needed bagels and fruit for lunch this week. I bought apples and oranges on sale. Grabbed more probiotic soda, including that tasty Crisp Apple Olipop, one yogurt, and a bag of brownie cookies from the bakery with a online coupon. 

Not happy with my schedule this week at all. On one hand, I only work today, tomorrow, and Friday...but I have an 8 1/2 hour shift tomorrow! I'm guessing the college boy who was working in the afternoons must have gone back to school. It's not even the head bagger working a cashier's shift - Wednesday is her day off.

After all that, I wasn't up for anything but Crown Chicken and Gyro. I bought a tilapia sandwich with their tasty fries and a Diet Pepsi. Watched the antics of a funny toddler girl as she chased a bouncy ball around the dining area, sat in a booth with seats not much bigger than her, and climbed into her mommy's lap to wait for her food. Poor darling was playing with her ball under the table when she reached up and bonked her head. That really got her wailing! Good thing Dad came over with their fried chicken and rice dinners at that point.

Had dinner at home after I changed, took out the trash, and brought the laundry downstairs. Watched Having a Wild Weekend while I ate. I go further into this surprisingly charming romantic vehicle for musician Dave Clark at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Finished the night as I worked on my blog and brought my laundry upstairs with two of my recent CD finds. Began with the Bette Midler Hello Dolly! revival in honor of its Cornelius Hackl, Gavin Creel, who passed away yesterday. Though he won a Tony for his lovely "It Only Takes a Moment" and sounds like he's having fun with his part of "Put On Your Sunday Clothes," he's overshadowed by Midler and her unlikely Horace Vandergelder, David Hyde Pierce. Pierce is on more even footing with Midler than most Horaces tend to be, with both of them equal hams. He even gets an additional song that was originally cut from the show. "Penny In My Pocket" explains how Horace made his millions and why he's so cheap. 

Mingus Ah Um was inspired by a series of jazz workshops Charles Mingus conducted in the 40's and early 50's. He wanted to bring spontaneity back into jazz with jams like "Pussy Cat Dues" and "Open Letter to Duke." One of his most famous compositions, "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat," can be found here. 

No comments: