Tuesday, October 08, 2024

The Tooth of the Matter

Began the morning with breakfast and The Busy World of Richard Scarry. Sally and her friends search for gold at the "End of the Rainbow." They don't find gold, but Mr. Fixit and Sargent Murphy lead them to an even better treasure. Peng the panda is worried about his wife having a baby while he's building the Great Wall of China. His son creates fireworks as "A Signal for Peng" that would really get him to take notice. "Mr. Frumble's Birthday Party" might be fun, if Mr. Frumble can remember to send invitations and order the right items from the right shop owners.

Let Press Your Luck run briefly as I got organized. Came just in time to see a young man win all cash. The woman was a previous champ and definitely not complaining, but the other poor guy Whammied out. Left as the next show began.

My first stop today was my dental appointment. I went in. The sweet dental technician cleaned my teeth. I got out. The entire process took less than a half-hour. She says my teeth look really good, which I appreciate after I lost two in two years. It's also my last dental appointment of the year. I won't be going back until January 14th.

Headed to Target next. I needed pads rather badly. I was almost out. After I quickly bought Always, I went to lunch at the bagel shop. Had a tasty avocado, tomato, and mozzarella omelet with hash brown potatoes (that I didn't finish) and a chocolate chip bagel (that didn't really have much in the way of chocolate chips, though it still tasted good). They had Culture Pop's wild berry and lime flavor, too. After I ate, I realized I forgot two more items at Target. Stopped there and got them before heading across the street to the Haddon Township Library.

My job counselor Dawn was a bit late, but we did eventually meet around quarter of 2. She never did find me jobs, but I did take several typing speed tests for practice. I never got lower than 88 percent accuracy on any of them, and one was 100. I honestly did very well. I know I'm a good typist, but I wasn't sure what my speed was. I could usually get somewhere between 27 and 42 words per minute, which seems good enough. 

Dawn also suggested attending the job fair at Rowan University with her on Friday. I'll try, but I won't promise her anything. The job fairs never really seem to do me much good. They're mostly industrial, police, or health care companies. 

Rode into the park after leaving Dawn. Newton Lake Park is gorgeous at this time of year, despite how dry and brown it is. The trees are just starting to turn shades of yellow and orange here. It's finally starting to feel like fall. I pushed my bike under that lovely canopy and past the Haddon Township Environmental Center and History Museum. Stopped at Dollar General quickly on my way home. I really just wanted a drink. I ended up with a Diet Dr. Pepper and Halloween felt stickers and plastic colored or glow in the dark vampire teeth for the trick or treat Mystery Bags. 

Had a lot to do at home, too, starting with making the bed, gathering donations for Goodwill, and taking the laundry downstairs. Watched Monkees episodes as I worked. The Monkees find themselves stranded on a remote island after being called to the reading of a late millionaire's will in "Monkee See, Monkee Die." Davy falls for his grand-niece who inherits the castle, while his bandmates try to figure out how the other friends and relatives who are also there for the reading keep vanishing.

It's "Monkees Vs. Machine" when Mike manages to confound a computer enough to get a job at an automated toy factory. He'd be happier about it if he wasn't part of the "new regime" espoused by Daggart (Stan Freburg), who wants his computers to replace a long-time toy designer (Walter Janovitz). He and the other guys first sabotage Daggart's attempts to show how efficient his new machine-designed toys are, then realize that the older toy manufacturer might have a winner after all when they attempt to throw it away, and it keeps coming back...

Put up the Halloween decorations after I finished The Monkees. I like Halloween more than I did as a kid, but I'm not the biggest fan of horror. The scariest decorations I have are a couple of cute stuffed bats and a Beanie Baby wolf with red eyes. Mom gave me the orange and yellow tin and the McDonald's Halloween Happy Meal toys - Birdie, the Hamburgler, and Grimace in snap-on costumes, a McNugget in a heavy purple spider costume, another McNugget with a skeleton mask that doubles as a candy holder, and what I believe to be a Hamtaro character in a snap-on witch costume. They're all on my entertainment center, surrounded by orange and black garland. The cute bat table runner Mom made years ago is on my front room table. Howl the wolf ended up on a shelf, while the ghost Beanies hang out with my collectible bears on top of the records.

Watched Match Game '77 as I worked on the Halloween decorations and put the laundry in the dryer. I couldn't miss the infamous episode that ended with Debralee Scott and Richard Dawson arguing with judge Ira Skutch over whether "finishing school" matched "school." It got really ugly. Poor Patti Deusch was terrified to give her answer, "night school," which was also rejected. The contestant got the audience going, Debralee and Rich got in on it, and Gene couldn't keep order. Charles turned up on sprawled on Gene's steps as "the first victim of the school riot" after the commercial break, but the damage was done. The lower tier kept their answers up in protest for what little remained of the episode. 

Put on Everyone Says I Love You after the episode ended. I go further into this charming Woody Allen musical from the 90's at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


As soon as I brought the dry laundry upstairs, it was time to pull out the cold-weather clothes. It might get warm for a few days this weekend, but it looks like we're largely done with really hot weather here. I could use a dress for colder weather. I have several winter skirts, but not a full-out dress. Other than that, I don't really need much in the way of clothes right now. Put away the Pokemon backpack and pulled out my good leather purse. 

Finished the night after dinner and a shower with two Broadway cast albums and soundtracks I've picked up lately. What Makes Sammy Run? was Steve Lawrence's only solo Broadway vehicle. I'm a bit surprised he agreed to play a jerk scriptwriter who uses everyone around him on his way to the top. His character is abrasive, obnoxious, and not at all fun, despite Lawrence's decent performances of songs like "You Can Trust Me" and "A Room Without Windows." Sally Ann Howes' soprano trilling sounds totally out of place in this dark musical comedy score, and she has no chemistry with Lawrence. Robert Alda does better as Lawrence's boss. All in all, nothing you need to go out of your way to hear unless you're a huge fan of Lawrence. 

The Broadway Melody of 1940, on the other hand, is a career-best for almost everyone involved. Cole Porter's score includes the hits "I Concentrate On You" and "Begin the Beguine." Astaire partnered well with George Murphy and the equally meticulous Eleanor Powell. While you can't see their wonderful "Beguine" and "Jukebox Dance," you can hear Astaire and Murphy have fun with the comic opener "Please Don't Monkey With Broadway." 

No comments: