Headed out to do grocery shopping next. I won't have time for it tomorrow! I headed through Newton Lake Park, admiring the just-barely-turning leaves on the still-green trees and the sparkling bottle green waters as I dodged that continuing road work on Cuthbert. I started at the Westmont Acme. Restocked soda (Bloom Pop was buy two, get one free), yogurt, grapes, apples, granola, cookies (got the limited-edition maple leaf sandwich cookies and mini maple shortbread cookies), Swiss cheese slices, and shredded chicken. They didn't have oat milk, so I made a quick stop at Sprouts on the way home for that and one of those kids' lunch bags.
Put everything away when I got home, then had a quick almond butter and grape jelly lunch while watching the first episode of The Monkees in honor of their 60th anniversary. Davy Jones rescues his first of many maidens when he saves a princess from drowning in "Royal Flush." He convinces the other three to help out when they realize her uncle and his chauffeur intend to kill her so her uncle can ascend the throne.
Hurried out to Thomas Sharp School next. Even with a slightly later start, I got there in plenty of time. We once again had 18 kids to start, and they're still pretty wound up from the book fair and them being on a half-day tomorrow. They were especially crazy once we got outside. The boys kept hitting each other and the girls. One of the girls thought her insults were funny. I quickly reminded her that people do have feelings and don't always appreciate the jokes. There was a ton of squabbling over the swings. The kids want to go on before they go home, but their friends don't always want to share. Even after the numbers dwindled, the older boys argued over who would swing with whom. It's probably just as well that the last five kids went inside just as I left.
At least the weather was still gorgeous. I chased the kids in glorious, blue and gold sunshine. It was a bit warmer, in the lower 70's, a tad more humid, and very windy. Nothing really outrageous for the start of fall.
Went straight home after all that. The Price Is Right was just going into the Showcases. The generic showcase had kitchen appliances, carpet, and lots of furniture. The story Showcase took Holly on a safari, seeking out wild prizes, including a sports car! It got really close, but in the end, one of the ladies was shocked and delighted to get that car (and just barely miss getting both showcases).
Match Game '77 had even more fun. Patty Duke ended the first week reading a question so Gene could answer it. She had so much fun and was so pleased with herself, I'm surprised Gene never let her read one again. The rest of the night was devoted to the next week with Roz Kelly, Craig Morris, and Joyce Bulifant. At the end of the last episode, Roz kissed a guy in the audience and claimed he was "much better than Fonzie!"
Finished the night at Tubi with Bright Lights. I go further into this creative backstage thriller from the early talkie era with former Ziegfeld dancer Dorothy Mackaill at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment