We went down the road next to the North Adams Goodwill. It's much smaller than the ones in Pittsfield and Audubon, but it does have a fair-sized media selection. Lauren came up with several shirts. I just found:
Rupert Holmes - Partners In Crime
Next up, we stopped at two different variations on the Ollie's "odd lots of stuff in one location" formula. I found Merino wool socks at Ocean State Job Lots. Lauren's Label Shopper, a local, more clothes-oriented version of Ocean State, moved into the North Adams Peebles after that chain went out of business. They're honestly not that much different from Peebles...but neither of us found anything there.
Lauren doubled back to Lanesborough for lunch at Pedrin Dairy Bar. This is a local ice cream and sandwich drive-up restaurant with tons of outdoor seating. I forgot about it being cash-only and had to get more at the Mountain One Bank next-door. Lauren had a huge chicken club grinder with amazing, crunchy onion rings and a Diet Coke. I had a Chicken Parmesan grinder with a coffee milkshake. Oh yum! It was really windy, but otherwise, it was a perfect day to eat outside. The sun was warm on our backs as we enjoyed our lunch.
After Lauren drove us back to North Adams, she went to Jack's Hot Dogs to get dinner for her parents, and I made my way into the Berkshire Emporium & Antiques. And everything else, from the looks of the place. They're so huge, they have twenty rooms filled with every possible thing existing, from antique tools to new DVDs. There's so much stuff, they have books for sale in the coffee shop next-door. They're even more full than the Barrington Antique Center. I have to agree with the college kids who searched through the records, cassettes, and CDs in the basement with me. It was like ten families just dumped everything they didn't want in 20 rooms. Along with a pack of 40 Pokemon cards for a Christmas present, I ended up with two CDs:
Manheim Steamroller - Christmasville
The 1995 Broadway cast album for the Pal Joey revival with Peter Gallagher and Patti LuPone
I met Lauren outside, and we strolled back to her car. This time, Lauren drove us back into Vermont. We missed the Bennington Goodwill yesterday. They're not a whole lot bigger than the one in North Adams. I didn't find anything. Lauren found a striped shirt for work and a really pretty purple and maroon sweater with glittery threads.
In fact, I had no more luck for the rest of the day. Lauren got more shirts and another sweater at the Marshalls down the road. Neither of us found anything at the Vermont Label Shopper either. The only thing either of us bought from their Super WalMart was my Cherry Coke Zero. (And it must be a requirement for very large WalMarts to have stunning views. The WalMarts in Lanesborough and Bennington are positioned where one can have a terrific view of the mountains in the area. The Somerdale WalMart is on a hill that allows you to see the Cinemark and everything around it.)
We had dinner at The Avocado Pit in downtown Bennington. Lauren had a hard time finding a place to park, but it was worth it. The Avocado Pit is a hole-in-the-wall that specializes in tacos and their perfect home-made limeade. I had the taco special on soft flour tortillas with chicken. Lauren had hard shell tacos with beef...and loved those so much, she got a larger fish taco, too. We shared their cinnamon strips, fried tortilla strips dusted with cinnamon sugar that were delightfully flaky. The young guys at the counter were really nice and funny, too.
Lauren had trouble driving home. She got caught between two drivers going way too slow on the highway. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy about that, especially since one guy was weaving and didn't seem to be driving that well. I couldn't help laughing at some of her grumbling.
Finished the night with today's Match Game YouTube marathon after we showed Mr. and Mrs. Miller our finds. Hugging and kissing were as common on this show as weird answers from drunk panelists. If Gene wasn't kissing "the new kid on the block" ingenue, Richard was smooching with the contestant he'd just helped win money. Richard wasn't the only one, either. Sometimes, the contestants were the ones who did it, like the guy who dipped a smitten Marcia Wallace before giving her a huge kiss, or the one who kept chasing Fannie and Brett around.
There are hugs and kisses all around with Gene and his wacky weirdos in this very loving marathon!
No comments:
Post a Comment