Saturday, May 05, 2007

El Partio Pooper

I mostly had a lovely day today. I went to the bank, then briefly met my sister Rose and her boyfriend Craig at the opening of the Collingswood Farm Market, a gathering of local farmers, bakers, florists, and craftspeople in the parking area behind Collingswood's main street. I bought radishes, honey, pumpkin butter, mushrooms, a red onion, and romaine lettuce, every last bit of it fresh and Garden-State-grown. It's soooo nice to have truly fresh, local produce again! (I'll still have to get apples, grapefruit, and bananas from the Acme, though.)

The Collingswood Farm Market wasn't the only thing beginning today. It would seem it's also the start of yard sale season! Five or six families a block down from me were having a massive multi-house yard sale. I picked up a Beanie Baby cat and three videos - "Care Bears II: A New Generation," "Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird," and the remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair."

I watched "Follow That Bird," then went for a walk. I stopped at an ice cream parlor around the corner from me that serves a low-calorie, low-sugar frozen yogurt. They'd just cleaned the machine, and it took so long, I got it for free! I went for a long walk to Audobon after that to visit Bob at the CD store Abbie Road, but he was out playing hockey. (Just as well. I've bought enough CDs lately. I really just wanted the walk.)

The real reason I took today off, though, was for my Uncle Ken's 70th birthday party. It was Mexican-themed (since today is also Cinco De Mayo). Most of the family and neighbors were there, and there was tons of food.

I felt shy and out-of-place. I didn't know anyone besides my uncle, father, stepsister, and a few assorted cousins and close family friends. Everyone had their own groups, and I didn't know how to start a conversation with the adults. I don't really know most of those people. It was hard not to pig out on everything on the table, too. Erica and her mom Miss Helen said not to let it worry me so much and just find someone to talk to, but I couldn't bring myself to talk to anyone. I just didn't know what to say.

Uncle Ken did like the extra-long barbecue tongs I gave him, though. I figure all men need barbecue tools.

No comments: