Thursday, October 16, 2008

Autumn Leaves

I'm so tired. I've had a long day. I slept in after staying up late last night and was just about to have a nice, long breakfast before raking the leaves and going to the library. Around 9:30, just as I was getting dressed, I got a phone call from the Acme. Yup, they wanted me to come in, five minutes ago if possible. Seems someone from the bakery called out and they needed to send a cashier with bakery experience to replace them, leaving THEM short of help on the front end!

I did not go in five minutes ago. I told Donna I'd promised my landlady I'd rake the yard, and I really did want to get that done before the men pick up the leaves tomorrow. I went in from noon to 5. Work was on-and-off steady, except for around the usual 4PM-5PM rush hour. There were some cranky people and some people who just couldn't read sale signs. I was not a help. I was cranky and tired from having to rush breakfast and raking and going to bed late and not in the mood for anyone's fussiness. Everyone got so upset when I was hard on myself. I never see it as being hard on myself in the heat of the moment; I just figure that I shouldn't have done it and automatically feel guilty and try to apologize, though no one wants to hear apologies. I can't help feeling bad when I do stupid things. I hate holding up the line.

I did get the raking done today. I mostly just wanted to get the older leaves from the late spring and summer up and on the curb before we get the next round. The trees in the yards are just starting to turn colors and fall. Not all of them are quite there yet, but some are really the most glorious shade of yellow. I got most of the front yard done in a little over an hour; not bad for someone who was in a hurry. My legs are killing me, but I earned $10 and the yard looks somewhat better.

No comments: