Friday, October 03, 2008

Sugar and Spice and Work's Not Nice

Once again, with this my only day off, I spent the morning running errands. I picked up my paycheck and a few items at the Acme, then made a brief stop to FYE to see if they had the new WebKinz (they had the Hummingbird and the Triggerfish, but not the Buffalo). When they didn't, I headed across the parking lot to America's Best for my contacts, then next door to Audubon's post office for stamps. I wanted to look for the new WCares WebKinz for Lauren, so I next went to the Walgreens on the Black Horse Pike, making a brief stop at the PNC Bank to deposit my paycheck. No new WCares Lil'Kinz there yet. All I saw were the same old Black Bears, St. Bernards, and Pandas. I did get some more saline solution for my contacts there.

I got a call from work shortly after arriving at home and having lunch. Janice, one of the head front end managers, wanted to know if I could come in early tomorrow...from 7 to 4! Uh, no. I want to go to the farm market tomorrow, and 7 is pushing it anyway. I finally agreed to 10 to 4. I need the hours badly, but I'm getting a little tired of this calling in stuff. Why don't they teach managers how to make schedules, so they don't screw up or panic so badly when the ones who normally do it go on vacation, take family or sick leave, or are otherwise unavailable?

The rest of the day was passed at home, baking and dusting (the latter finishes the cleaning for this month). I made my first loaf of French bread. I didn't get it into the right shape, but it smelled and tastes lovely. My gingerbread came out well, too, nice and soft and spicy. I made a garlic-chicken stir fry for dinner when I took too long working on editing the Monkees role-play and needed a quicker dish than the one I'd originally planned.

No comments: