Monday, October 20, 2008

Keeping Things Balanced

This morning was this week's Yogawood class. It was the fullest class I'd seen in a while, with at least fifteen women or more, not counting the teacher, Jill. It was a good, solid class. I tried the "crow" pose, which requires a lot of squatting and leaning on one's hands to lift one's squatted knees and rear end. Needless to say, I didn't get very far, but I tried.

I went straight home after class and did the laundry. Unlike last week, the laundry went just fine. Dad was the only one home, no one else was doing laundry, and the dryer behaved. Dad received an American Girls catalog that he let me keep. I haven't seen one of those in years, since Mom stopped getting them in the late 90s. It confirmed that yes, they're retiring Samantha after the holiday season. I know Linda's right and they're probably hoping to triple the value on Sam's collection, but I'm also hoping this means we'll get a new Victorian-era American Girl. I agree with Linda. I'd love to see a Jewish tenement-dweller, or the spirited daughter of a suffragette, or maybe go a decade or so ahead and see a Miranda and the Movies-style child star on the stage...and in that daring new medium of motion pictures.

Ran errands while the laundry was in the dryer. It was a wonderful day for a walk, sunny but not windy like over the weekend and in the lower 60s, just right for this time of the year. The air really smells like fall now, spicy and smoky and crisp. I went in one direction down the White Horse Pike to the CVS on the border of Collingswood and Oaklyn and bought Herbal Essences shampoo, then went in the other direction towards Audubon and bought the cheaper milk from WaWa and a little Pumpkin Spice Cappuccino. I dropped the shampoo and the milk off at my apartment, then went back to Dad's for my laundry, which came out just fine. (I didn't have nearly as much laundry to do this week, either.)

I spent the remaining afternoon working on my DVD inventory. Work was on-and-off steady, with a few cranky customers (and one elderly couple whose bickering just ended up confusing me and messing up their order), but otherwise no problems. I had no relief and was in and out without a fuss. The ride home was in the dark, but it was nice anyway. The air had that crisp, clear scent night air gets in the fall and winter, and the night sky was velvety navy, with barely a moon to keep it from falling to the earth.

No comments: