Sunday, October 26, 2008

Take a Giant - and an Eagle - Step

It was an absolutely gorgeous day for sports fans. I started off the morning just hanging around at home. I tried calling Mom, but she said quickly that she'd call me back. Work was on-and-off steady, no real major problems other than the usual listening to people whine about their jobs, their children, and their significant others. Must be nice to have good jobs, children, friends, and significant others to whine about. I always end up listening to my customers complain about their lives...but most of the time, I can't relate. I don't have children. I'm not married, and I haven't dated in almost five years. I have a part-time job I'm not all that fond of, though I do like my co-workers. No one brings candy in the back room unless there's a party going on. My boss is cool. Sometimes, I feel so out of the loop, I might as well be made of stone.

I didn't feel much better after work. I tried to sell two DVDs and two CDs at the FYE behind the Acme, but was only able to sell one DVD for a dollar. They said they were "overstocked" on the other DVD and just plain didn't want the CDs. I don't understand why. That's a good-sized and very popular FYE with plenty of storage room. I can kind of understand the CDs, but they should have been able to take both DVDs. I really do want to get rid of them, so I'll just give them to Erica at the thrift shop tomorrow.

Going over to Uncle Ken's cheered me up enormously. I wasn't going to go originally, since the Eagles game would have been over by then, but I needed to be around people who weren't going to whine about their lives. I'm very glad I did go over there. I had pizza, pound cake, cupcakes, and "hoagie soup" (beef broth, noodles, tomatoes, onion, Italian salami slices) while chatting with Uncle Ken, Dolores, his daughter Samantha, her husband Dave, and Dad's girlfriend Jodie. Chasing Sam and Dave's kids Ethan, Matt, and Faith was fun, too. Jodie told me Dad's out working, taking a cruise ship from Rhode Island down to Florida, and will be gone for three weeks.

This must be a good time for sailors to be out to sea. When I finally got a hold of Mom this evening after getting home from Uncle Ken's, she said that my stepdad's out fishing, too. She was just resting after working on a knitting project for a neighbor's son. Keefe was at the neighbor's house, so she was spending some rare time with the football games to herself. As far as I can tell, she's quite happy. She got to see my little nephew do "Trick or Treat" at Cape May's Washington Street Mall last week.

Oh, and Philly sports fans can rejoice tonight. The Eagles came out of their week off with flags flying and walloped the Atlanta Falcons 27-14, and at press time, the Philadelphia Phillies are winning game 4 of the World Series over the Tampa Bay Rays 6-2.

(And sorry Mom, but the Giants did beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 21-14.)

Oh, and I dug around in my bag of costume odds and ends and decided what I'm going to be for Halloween this year. I shall be a "flower fairy" in my white angel wings and wand from two years ago and a bunch of flowered headbands and armbands leftover from a hula dancer costume I did quite a while ago. I debated being an angel again, but I couldn't find the halo anywhere. I must have gotten rid of it. I'll wear my good white shoes and white Swiss lace shirt and may dig out the peach skirt I bought last summer. I'll wear a turtleneck under the shirt if I'm cold. Uncle Ken and Samantha invited me to Oaklyn's Halloween Parade on Thursday night. It sounds like a lot of fun! That's my only day off this week, so I'll definitely try to make it.

No comments: