Wednesday, October 22, 2008

World Series

Today begins the World Series between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies, the first time the Phils have made it to the championship since 1993. The Acme held a small party in the back room in the Phillies' honor. There was a pizza-pan-sized chocolate cookie with fudge icing, two pans of brownies (I didn't finish the one I had - it was burnt and hard around the edges), Patrice the Stock Manager's sponge cake with cherry Jello swirl and Cool Whip icing, and a huge bowl of "pretzel chips," thin, crispy, twice-baked pretzels donated by the deli. It was a lot of fun, and I had a great time chatting with my fellow employees. Probably helped that the store was steady-to-dead today, with no major customer problems and no problems coming in or getting out. (In stark contrast to yesterday, my relief was early.)

It was a nice day, still very windy but not too cold, about what it should be this time of year. I dropped my lunch bag in the kitchen when I got home and went right back out again for a walk down the White Horse Pike. I stopped at the Oaklyn Library on the way home and rented two Winnie the Pooh Halloween specials and the Alfred Hitchcock film Vertigo. (Actually, one is a prime-time Pooh special, Boo To You Too!. The other is three spooky-oriented episodes of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh collected under the title of the first one, Frankenpooh.)

I watched the Pooh special and a Disney movie I picked up from a yard sale, An Extremely Goofy Movie, during dinner. A direct-to-video follow up to the Disney Afternoon cartoon Goof Troop and it's theatrical spin-off A Goofy Movie, this is the surprisingly sweet tale of Goofy's attempt to stick with his son Max after he goes to college. Goofy apparently hasn't been on a college campus since the seventies, which leads to some hilarious moments (check out Goofy with that mile-high afro!) and a disco-heavy soundtrack. (Loved the cute version of "Right Back To Where We Started From" over the end credits.)

No comments: