Thursday, February 04, 2010

Balancing Storm and Sun

It was a gorgeous, sunny, mid-30s day in South Jersey when I headed out this morning for this week's yoga class. It was a pretty decent-sized class, 9 people with the teacher Karin, though not as busy as I feared it would be. I thought a lot of people would come today to dodge the bad weather we're supposed to be getting tomorrow. (Then again, the storm apparently isn't going to hit us until later in the afternoon tomorrow, either. I guess a lot of people will be going tomorrow morning.)

At any rate, we worked on our shoulders and on balancing. Yes, we did shoulder stands. No, I still can't do them. I did get the half-moon balance for a few seconds, though. There were a few poses I had to adjust or couldn't do because of my sore toe; the big one was Downward Dog. I had to get on my knees for that one, and it's one of the most-used poses in the class.

Went straight to the Collingswood Library after class ended. I spent an hour or so doing exactly what I did there last week. I organized non-fiction books upstairs...when I wasn't reading them, that is. I get distracted rather easily when books are involved.

My next stop was Cafe Antonio II a few blocks from the library for lunch. It was about 12:30 by this point, and they were rather busy. I finally just ordered a slice of broccoli and tomato pizza and water and watched the constant stream of hungry people coming in from offices or shopping or fund-raising for an area elementary school.

Rode straight over to the Haddon Township Library after lunch. I had a lot to return today, four DVDs and four books. There was a lot for me to return, too, piles of DVDs. For the first time, there were more non-fiction DVDs than fiction ones. Maybe a lot of people decided they wanted to learn things this week. I didn't take out any DVDs, but I did take out two more mysteries, a book on nutrition and exercise, and a book on resumes.

I chatted with the librarians after I finished. While they were nice, they really weren't much of a help. Apparently, the only library with openings is in Voorhees, which would require a bus ride. We'll see. I haven't had to ride the bus to work since I lived in Cape May County, and it didn't work out that well then.

Hit Super Fresh next, but that may have been a mistake. We've been hearing anything from 4 to 30 inches of snow for tomorrow afternoon and Saturday here, and it's getting to everyone. Super Fresh was mobbed. Took me forever just to get my chicken cutlets and maple syrup. (Real maple syrup is cheaper at Super Fresh than it is at the Acme.)

Briefly stopped at WaWa for a snack (fountain unsweetened iced tea with cherry syrup and a too-doughy soft pretzel) and at the Doria's for turkey and conversation on the way home. I didn't get in until quarter of 5. When I finally did get home, I took advantage of the nice day to do a few outdoor things I'd been meaning to do - swept the sticks and sticker balls off the porch and took out the recycling.

It turned out to be a good thing I did do the yoga class today. There was a message from the Acme when I finally got to listening to my phone messages that was trying to call me in. First of all, the Acme is the last place I want to be after yesterday. I'm only going there tomorrow morning for my paycheck and to grocery shop. Second, if Super Fresh was mobbed this afternoon, I don't even want to contemplate what the Acme was like!

No comments: