Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slush World

It was flurrying when I woke up this morning, but the wind was gone and it wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday. The sidewalks were still a little messy when I ran to the bank to deposit my paycheck. I did quite a bit of slipping and sliding. I hit a lot of slushy puddles, especially on the White Horse Pike. My boots were soaked when I got home.

Since I had some time after I came back from bank, I swept the remaining slush off the area of my porch leading to the steps and salted them. (Michael must have salted the steps the other night before or during the storm.) I updated my finances. I had a small lunch of yogurt, applesauce, and a granola bar before grabbing an apple for a snack, changing into my uniform, and heading for work.

The snow had ended shortly after I got back to the apartment. It was merely cloudy when I rode my bike to work. I still had to walk my bike on the mush-covered sidewalk on the Black Horse Pike, but even then, it was disappearing fairly rapidly.

Work was almost exactly the same as yesterday - on and off busy. We had plenty of help for once, and there were no major problems besides some faintly annoying beginning-of-the-month people. I didn't have a relief, but it was quiet enough by 5 that I was able to shut down.

Good thing, too, because I had a LOT of grocery shopping this week. I desperately needed to restock just about every fruit and vegetable in my larder, and I'm almost out of olive oil, cereal, and granola bars, too. I ran out of milk this morning. I was overloaded on the bike going home, but I did make it back. Helps that the sidewalk was mostly clear by quarter of 6.

There was a box on my landlady's porch when I arrived home. I saw it there when I left for work, but I hadn't had the time to grab it then. I ordered a small, 1.5 quart Crock Pot from the Vermont Country Store, via a gift card Lauren gave me for Christmas. I thought a Crock Pot would be nice for days like today, when I work in the late morning and afternoon and have time for dinner afterwards...but no desire to cook it. I'm testing the pot now with an "Old Fashioned Rice Pudding" made with brown rice and fat-free evaporated milk. We'll see how it works out.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh, crock pots are the best. Here's my very favorite dinner recipe ever:

A package of boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 can tomato paste
1 can beer
1 bottle green olives WITH THE juice

That's it. Dump everything in the crock and cook on low all day. Serve over rice to soak up the yummy sauce.