Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wet Winter Weather

Today was laundry day. I slept in longer than I'd planned, so I tried to take the path across the train tracks to save time. That was a big mistake. It was a total mess back there. The softly falling rain added huge puddles to wherever there wasn't still snow and slush. I did finally make it to Hilcrest Avenue, after climbing through that tangle of vines again and soaking my errand-running sneakers.

It was too late and too wet for me to try to get to the Oaklyn Library or run any errands. I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon reading Southern Fried and drying off instead. Dad got in from Florida yesterday. He ended up driving me home and to work (after I stopped at home, had a very quick lunch, changed, and put my clothes away).

The managers had tried to call me in earlier, but I was still at Dad's then. By the time I got in, it was too late. Turned out to not really matter much anyway. Though the cashier at the self-checkout lanes said it was busier in the afternoon, by 2, it had slowed down. It was on-and-off busy all night, not dead but nothing anyone couldn't handle.

I was a little annoyed with the teenage night manager. She told me I had a relief, then sent the girl in the register in front of me and shut me down. What she didn't notice was I still had a line. I ended up being a little late.

This actually worked to my advantage. I called Dad on my cell phone to pick me up...just as I saw him coming out the exit door behind me! Seems he discovered he needed a few things and had arrived early. He dropped me home, and I spent the rest of the evening watching Good Eats episodes and eating honey-glazed carrots and leftover Chinese Chicken Legs for dinner.

Oh, and the rain's been coming down rather hard all night, and to my knowledge, is still coming down. According to the National Weather Service, we may still get some snow, but it'll probably be an inch or two. Given how warm it's been, even if we do get snow, I doubt it'll stick for very long.

No comments: