Monday, March 08, 2010

It Happened One Day

Started off the day by finishing It Happened One Night, a super-cute Frank Capra comedy from 1934. This was the first film to sweep all of the major Oscars, and the first comedy to win an Oscar...and I can understand why. Claudette Colbert is a spoiled heiress on the run from Miami to New York to meet her new playboy husband, whom her father disapproves of. Clark Gable is the out-of-work reporter who meets her on the night bus to Jacksonville. He smells a story and joins her for the ride. They both learn how the "other side of the tracks" lives as they make their way to the East Coast...and more than the Walls of Jerico come tumbling down during the wedding finale!

This was a heck of a lot of fun, and unlike a lot of Capra's movies, doesn't try to shove it's love and money don't mix message down your throat. In fact, as much as I liked Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, I enjoyed this one even more. I especially appreciated the scenes on the bus. As someone who's taken long bus trips since she was 12, I can relate to many of the things that happen to Ellie and Peter between Miami and New York, from lost tickets to getting stuck next to that annoying guy talking a mile a minute who won't leave you alone.

Work was on-and-off busy all day. Unlike yesterday, we had plenty of help, and other than some annoying customers, there were no problems. My relief was on-time, and I thankfully left just as the 4PM rush hour was getting heavy.

I came out to an utterly gorgeous day, the nicest we've had since at least October. It was in the upper 50s, breezy, and sunny as could be. It was so nice, I didn't need to wear my heavy coat to work for the first time in ages. I was fine in my high school field hockey jacket.

Went straight home after work. The first thing I did when I got in was throw open the windows. My apartment was actually too warm! I changed into a turquoise faux-layered shirt and capris, then pulled out the cleaning supplies and did the bathroom. I meant to do it last week, but I kept running out of time and getting called in!

I debated going out for a while, but I really wanted to get the bathroom done. I'll go out tomorrow. I need to get to the Haddon Township Library anyway, and it's supposed to stay gorgeous through Friday.

No comments: