Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Tide Is VERY High

The weather was a mess when I got up this morning. It was pouring rain and lashing wind, the rain beating on my roof like it wanted to come in. I was going to try to get to the bank this morning. I never did. I worked on my DVD and video inventories instead.

Needless to say, I called Dad for a ride to work. When I got there, I found out that I was working until 5:30 instead of 5, like I'd originally thought. No problem. Dad had said to call him when I was done. I'd just be done a little later.

Work was on-and-off all day...but unlike the last week, it was more off than on. Even when we were busy, we were never overwhelming and we had plenty of help. I actually shut down a little early to finish putting candy away. Was even able to buy unbleached flour, rye flour, and chocolate chips (all on sale) on my break and had plenty of time left for my apple.

Called Dad when I finally finished, after seeing that he'd called me. I thought he'd come at 5 and was there waiting for me. He wasn't. I left him a message, then checked my voice mail. He had to run Uncle Ken to a doctor's appointment and didn't know when he'd be there. I didn't feel like waiting all day, and the rain had slowed, so I decided to walk.

That was not smart. The rain picked up again while I was on the White Horse Pike and wouldn't let up again until long after I arrived home dripping wet. I got quite a shock going home, too, when I was passing the creek going across the ramp to Oaklyn and noticed how close to the sidewalk the water was. My jaw nearly hit the ground when I saw that it was nearly overflowing the steps-like cliff-side on the end of Kendall Boulevard near the Pike...and was even more scared to see how far it had come up to our back yard when I finally got in. I've NEVER seen the water get this high in the five years I've lived here. It must be the rain we've had coupled with the last of the melting snow.

No comments: