Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Make Our Garden Grow

Slept in and started a gorgeous spring day with volunteering at the Oaklyn Library. It was windy as I headed down Manor Avenue around 11, but otherwise sunny and warm. The library reflected the gorgeous weather; i.e, it was dead all morning. I did the usual organizing the kids' books and DVDs, then took out two books on woodworking and one on crocheting.

Walked back to my place after I got out for lunch. I decided I wanted something a little different than the usual apple-yogurt-granola bar thing I take to work every day. I tossed apple slices, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds in a dressing made of white (cooking) wine, brown sugar, and lemon juice. I mixed berry jam with plain yogurt and added that to the top. It was delicious, the best salad I've had in a long time.

Miss Ellie called me yesterday and asked me to help her with the yard. It certainly needed it. A tree fell during the storms last month (which would explain some of the loud "thump" noises I heard then), and there were huge branches and sticks scattered around the front and sides yards. I've been meaning to clean them up for ages, but I haven't had the time.

Some of Miss Ellie's garden tools and pots were damaged in the storm, and some of them were just too old to be used anymore. I helped drag those out to the curb. (And that reminded me to take my own trash out - tomorrow is trash day.)

As I was finishing the sticks, Miss Ellie popped her head out and asked me to do another favor. There's a large plot of land between the side of the house and the park that she uses for a garden. Could I lightly rake the front of the garden? She was worried about her violets that might be sprouting and wouldn't be able to find the sun under all those leaves.

Sure! I like raking. I grabbed a rake and walked slowly down the rickety steps to the side yard. I hadn't even realized there was a garden in the side yard. When you look out of the side window of the music section of the living room, you can see a plot of land between the house and the park with logs that box sections into rectangles. There's a plot of daffodils there now, but little else. I did rake the leaves...and I found something wondrous. Miss Ellie was right. There WERE little pale white-green shoots coming out of the ground. The violets really were looking for the sun! It thrilled me to see those green, growing things...and know that I had helped them thrive.

After I finished in the side yard (and earned $20 from Miss Ellie for helping out), I did something else I haven't had the time for lately. I've been wanting to make bread for ages, but once again, I haven't had the time. I put together a huge round loaf of Broa, a Portuguese Corn Bread.

While it rose, I went for a short walk. By 5:30, the wind wasn't blowing quite as fiercely, and it was warmer, probably in the upper 60s. I hiked down Goff Avenue to the boat launch on Peter Creek, then back around the neighborhood next to the school, down West Clinton, and up Manor. Everyone was out and about. Kids played in their yards. People worked in their yards, or sat on their porches (or at one house on Kendall, their balcony) and chatted, or chased their kids around.

I let the loaf rise again when I got home, then had leftover beef stew for dinner. The loaf came out beautifully, a bit bigger than I thought, but wonderfully soft and chewy. I'll just separate it into two parts when I put it away.

No comments: